Introduction & Job Summary
Founded in 2004, we are a fast-growing, leading travel brand in Africa, employing more than 1,000 people with a footprint of 20 camps and lodges in Kenya and Tanzania. We offer guests a genuine African safari through immersive wildlife experiences and a very personal approach. Making a positive impact in the areas and local communities where we operate and running our operations in a responsible and sustainable manner is an integral part of our strategy.
We have ambitious growth plans and are in the process of expanding our operational, commercial and technology capabilities to enable the further scaling of both our guest experiences and travel offerings as well as our positive impact activities in the region.
We are looking for a seasoned professional with at least 5 years of international experience in any of the following fields: corporate finance, mergers & acquisitions (M&A), new business development & strategic commercial partnerships. The candidate should have strong affinity with nature-based tourism, conservation and impact-driven enterprises and should preferably also have concrete Africa experience.
As a successful candidate you are expected to autonomously manage, oversee and report on a variety of new business development and finance related projects at a senior management / Board / investor level. In essence, you are expected to have the skills, drive and commercial acumen to play a senior role in a portfolio of projects to drive the Group’s ambitious agenda for accelerated commercial growth.
General role & reporting relationships
In this role you will take on a key role in driving the ambitious commercial growth of the Group as the lead project manager in Commercial M&A as well as driving Group-level commercial partnerships and supporting the commercial teams within the business in their growth projects (such as establishing a commercial footprint in Northern America). It will also comprise of underlying strategy development and business modelling at the intersection of tourism, technology and positive impact. You will work closely with the commercial teams within the Group as well as the CFO and CEO, and you will be engaging regularly with Board subcommittees and key investors.
In this role you will require an ability to quickly understand a new and complex industry and work effectively with a broad variety of people. You should be attracted by the prospect of undertaking a range of daily activities in an entrepreneurial, ‘can-do’ environment: from concrete management of challenging projects to high-level strategic thinking and detailed analytical work & modelling; from general corporate/legal work to all sorts of interactions / presentations / reporting to the Board, investors and partners & intermediaries. The position requires frequent travel and ideally based in Tanzania or Kenya, however residency can be flexible provided there is regular presence in Cape Town, Nairobi and Europe.
Required skills & experience:
• Minimum 5 years international experience in a combination of the following fields: corporate finance, mergers & acquisitions (M&A), new business development & strategic commercial partnerships
• Proven general project management skills with end responsibility in M&A / business development projects involving multiple local and international stakeholders
• Team player with proven people management skills – able to get along and work effectively with a broad variety of people
• Commercial acumen & pragmatic entrepreneurial ‘can-do’ work personality; concrete evidence of having played an active role in non-incremental growth projects within other organisations (M&A and/or long-term commercial partnerships)
• Proven financial modelling skills, advanced excel skills, strong analytical skills
• Professional presentation and reporting skills, meeting the standards of international institutional investors
• Fluent in English
• Africa experience a plus