Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for operations.
As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continue pushing the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. Winnow Vision, our new artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about like minded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
People & Planet Positive. We’re caretakers of the planet, helping to preserve and support it for now and the future. Our work already minimises the impact that the hospitality industry has on the planet, and we’re also committed to actively reducing our own footprint while doing so.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Marketing Manager to join our marketing team in London. The Marketing Manager will bring experience in both building and executing global marketing strategy. You will have a strong marketing background with knowledge of digital and offline marketing, branding, positioning, content creation and community building. The Marketing Manager will also work closely with Winnow’s sales teams based in London, Dubai, Singapore, Shanghai and Chicago.
From October 2021, Winnow is adopting a hybrid working model where employees will have the flexibility to work a couple of days a week remotely should they wish to.
- With support from the Marketing Director, execute the brand marketing strategy focussing on four key areas:
- Managing the international events program positioning Winnow as thought leaders in the fight against food waste
- Lead on Winnow’s PR & social media activity which showcase success and inspire action from the rest of the hospitality sector
- Coordinate strategic partnerships (industry, government, NGO, academic) to engage with our different audience segments driving awareness and growth
- Oversee content working with agencies to create compelling client success stories around Winnow’s users
- Oversee brand guidelines helping develop on and offline materials for key stakeholders which are on brand and designed to a high quality
- Be responsible for Winnow’s corporate website coordinating quarterly updates, internationalisation and design.
- Collect, analyse and present marketing metrics related to Winnow’s brand awareness and engagement (e.g. Google analytics, Hubspot).
- Work closely with Winnow's operation's team to create client facing comms including onboarding and training materials.
- Co-manage Winnow’s marketing budget supporting the head of marketing and product marketing manager in monthly reporting and reconciliation process.
- Working with regional directors to support local marketing efforts to ensure the local plan aligns to the global strategy and represents the Winnow brand consistently.
Education and experience
- You are likely to be educated to degree level (or professional diploma in a marketing related field)
- Proven experience of digital marketing, including strategy, building, managing and writing content, managing campaigns and website CMS
- Have shaped and executed branding marketing campaigns for tech businesses
- Proficient use of the following tools: Hubspot, Google Analytics, Basic HTML is desirable.
- Experience with video production and editing
- Experience of driving targeted results through PR
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, with the ability to articulate complex ideas to a range of audiences, simply
- Analytical Skills – strong attention to detail and ability to deal with ambiguity and apply logical, structured approaches to solving problems
- Able to draw insights from data and demonstrate a brand’s contribution to business results
- Able to jump between strategy and hands-on execution seamlessly
- You are results driven and can demonstrate how you have delivered effective solutions in a timely manner
- You are comfortable taking ownership and accountability for your work whilst working effectively as part of a larger team
- You have experience working as part of a global team and building positive relationships with internal and external individual across borders
- With excellent communication skills you are a confident and articulate presenter. You communicate clearly in both written and spoken language. You listen attentively and are experienced in building successful relationships at all levels from CEO to analyst
- You are persuasive and personable and find building relationships with your customers enjoyable
- You have excellent attention to detail and a meticulous eye for identifying inconsistencies or inaccuracies in data. You take your time to get things right the first time.
- You have a solid grasp of financial analysis to build clear a business case for your customers
- You have proven experience in challenging and questioning the status quo. You enjoy suggesting and implementing creative and innovative solutions to improve the way things get done.
- Able to organise self, including effective scheduling, prioritisation and time management skills,managing multiple tasks in parallel and completing tasks to tight deadlines.
Our shared attributes
- You are both passionate and measured. You carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term
- You are transparent in approach and enjoy healthy, respectful debate. You work hard to build open and honest collaborative relationships
- You get things done and seek to continually improve. Your customers want you on their team
- You are passionate about the value of food and are committed to the fight against food waste
- You are humble in approach and quick to pitch in if you see someone struggling
- Competitive salary
- Company stock options package
- Pension scheme
- Eye care vouchers
- Life insurance
- Company part-funded health insurance
- 2 Wellness hours per month, plus a £20 monthly wellness allowance
- Employee Assistance Programme - 24/7 helpline for your wellbeing
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business