ThirdWay Partners (“ThirdWay”) is an impact investment and advisory boutique operating globally with a strong presence across the African continent. ThirdWay’s vision is to bring together private and development capital to create inclusive and sustainable development.
This position sits with The African Conservation & Communities Tourism Fund (the “ACCT Fund”), which is a part of ThirdWay’s asset management arm. The ACCT Fund is an initiative of The Nature Conservancy (“TNC”) and ThirdWay, which aims to preserve livelihoods, protect conservation areas and increase biodiversity and climate resilience through the support of key safari tourism operators in sub-Saharan Africa. The ACCT Fund’s core focus geographies include Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Namibia, Botswana and South Africa.
The main objective of this role is to enhance the Fund’s positive impact through the research into, assessment and development of carbon and biodiversity related monetisation opportunities, with the aim to increases the overall economic and environmental resilience of the Fund’s investee companies and/or the surrounding natural landscapes and the wildlife and communities who depend on these ecosystems.
Working together with the ACCT Fund Team and Director of Natural Capital, the Carbon & Biodiversity Specialist will be responsible for:
- Developing a framework for assessing and a database for tracking the climate and biodiversity importance of the natural landscapes in the countries in which the Fund operates;
- Identification and ranking of different carbon and biodiversity monetisation strategies within those landscapes;
- Identifying and building partnerships with third parties in the value chains of these sectors;
- Co-managing the implementation of multiple projects to trial a range of different strategies to monetise carbon and biodiversity assets;
- Evaluating and scoring the results of these projects;
- Developing processes & tools that will allow the organisation to scale the most succesfull strategies in the coming years.
- Master's degree in relevant discipline;
- Strong understanding and practical experience of carbon and biodiversity markets, standards, latest trends, legal frameworks etc.;
- Highly organised with strong attention to detail;
- Persuasive communicator (verbal & written) with ability to build stakeholder buy-in;
- Passionate about conservation and community development.