We’re here because we believe in small businesses. We believe they deserve better than waiting weeks for a loan. And we believe it’s our job to help them grow.
We started in 2012 with these principles, and we hold true to them today – now that we’re one of the fastest-growing fintechs in Europe. In the time between, we’ve built the best tech platform in lending, won several awards and opened up £3.5 billion in loans to over 70,000 businesses.
So what’s next? Our mission now is to help one million businesses who need us. To do this, we’ll need new products and partnerships. But most of all, we’ll need smart, hands-on people to join us on the journey and get us to our goal.
We are looking for Data Scientists from strong analytical backgrounds that can take potentially ambiguous, real-world business problems and formulate statistical solutions, which can be implemented in a pragmatic way. We’re looking for people who understand the limitations and assumptions of such a modelling process and can generate actionable insights and build effective predictive models.
- High calibre and diverse team of data scientists with a range of expertise.
- All members of the team have strong analytical backgrounds in Physics, Mathematics, Engineering etc, some with PhDs in their respective field.
- Broad and significant engagement in all steps of the problem solving process, including specification, solution proposal, implementation and delivery.
- Our development cycle is tight and incorporates elements of Agile processes, which means features or projects go live in days or weeks rather than months or years.
- We value personal development, constructive feedback, sharing knowledge and trying innovative solutions to problems.
What do we do?:
- Application of statistical modelling and machine learning techniques.
- Delivery of data driven solutions and predictions for a diverse range of business problems, including risk assessment and contact prioritisation.
- Development of real-time data pipelining and delivery of ML predictions.
- A/B testing and data analysis using statistical methods to generate insights and optimise existing and future business processes.
- Multi-disciplinary projects with the wider tech team and business stakeholders.
We want to pay all of our employees fairly, so that’s why we regularly benchmark salaries based on market rates and to recognise your increasing value to our business. We are ideally looking to pay between £65,000 - £100,000 for this role, this isn’t fixed so let us know in your application what you are looking for. We know there may be some candidates who may not fit within this salary range, if this is the case we would still love to hear from you.
We work hard to make iwoca a place where everyone feels welcome - we want everyone to confidently be themselves. For us, diversity isn't an optional add-on. It's the thing that makes us great.
- Strong analytical background, e.g PhD or degree in Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or related field; or equivalent experience.
- Good understanding of the techniques used in statistical data analysis, ability to generate well founded insights from potentially unstructured data.
- Some practical application of predictive modelling and pragmatic implementation of machine learning techniques to effectively solve real-world problems is a bonus.
- Someone that isn't satisfied with just applying out-of-the-box models, you want to know how they work, when they work and why they work.
- Some practical object-oriented programming experience: Python, Java, C/C++ or similar.
- Experience with some of the common Python data-science toolkits: Pandas, NumPy, SciPy, Scikit-learn is a bonus.
- Experience with R, Matlab, and/or SQL would be beneficial.
- Self-starter with ability to work autonomously in a relatively unconstrained environment.
- A healthy skepticism and desire to build innovative, but practical, solutions to business problems.
- Love for coding and getting hands-on with the raw data to really understand the underlying processes and nuances of the problem.
Don’t take this list as prescriptive: it’s just to give you a sense of who might do well at the job. We’d still love to hear from you if you don’t hit every point on the list, or if you have other experience.
We put a lot of effort into making iwoca a brilliant place to work:
- Offices in London, Leeds and Frankurt
- Events and clubs, like bingo, comedy nights, yoga classes, football…
- Two company retreats a year, we’ve been to France, Italy, Spain and further afield
- Plenty of drinks and snacks in our offices.
Our benefits package is second-to-none:
- Medical insurance from Vitality, including discounted gym membership
- 25 days’ holiday and an extra day off for your birthday
- Instant access to emotional and mental health support with our partner, Spill
- Generous maternity leave and shared parental leave
- A nursery tax benefit scheme to help you save money
- Paid volunteering time to support your chosen charity
- Extra leave if you want to travel or study
- One-month fully paid sabbaticals after 4 years
- Cycle-to-work scheme and electric car scheme
And to make sure we all keep learning, we offer:
- An L&D budget for everyone, including a book budget
- Company-wide talks with internal and external speakers
- Access to learning platforms like Treehouse if you want to learn to code.