We’re here because we believe in small businesses. We believe they deserve better than waiting weeks for a loan. And we believe it’s our job to help them grow.
We started in 2012 with these principles, and we hold true to them today – now that we’re one of the fastest-growing fintechs in Europe. In the time between, we’ve built the best tech platform in lending, won several awards and opened up £3.5 billion in loans to over 70,000 businesses.
So what’s next? Our mission now is to help one million businesses who need us. To do this, we’ll need new products and partnerships. But most of all, we’ll need smart, hands-on people to join us on the journey and get us to our goal.
We are recruiting a junior-mid-level Commercial Legal Counsel who will focus on a number of legal areas and advise all teams across the business.
As the role covers a broad range of legal issues, you will take a consultative approach and work closely with every business division within the ever evolving business of iwoca.
Some of the main elements of the role will involve:
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating customer, partnership and supplier contracts by providing pragmatic and commercial support
- Working with the Head of Legal to build self-serve tools, playbooks and guides for the legal team and for the wider business
- Focusing on identifying and implementing process improvements to make legal work more efficient
- Supporting and advising across the business, with a focus on assisting the product, marketing, commercial, partnerships, sales, people and compliance teams
- Working with product and tech teams on delivery of new products and customer journeys where legal input is required
- Managing external legal counsel where required
We’re looking for a junior to mid-level lawyer with private practice training and/or in-house experience in a fast-paced environment. You will be driven, able to work independently and able to apply your existing knowledge and approach across a very wide range of legal (and quasi-legal) areas. We are looking for someone who has a solid grounding in commercial law and commercial contracts, and is keen to help build a legal function within a fast-scaling business. If you have ambition to help build a legal function and take ownership of the negotiation of the commercial contracts, then we have a unique opportunity to work with the Head of Legal to achieve these goals.
As a fintech business, it helps if you have had experience in a similar area, or perhaps you have a keen interest in tech outside of your day to day work.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You are a junior-mid level lawyer, who has trained in a top tier law firm or in-house at a fast paced technology company
- You have a qualifying English law degree, either LLB or BA with GDL (or equivalent gained in a common law jurisdiction)
- You have a solid grounding in commercial law, and have an interest in broadening your experience in an in-house environment of other areas of legal expertise
- You have an interest in or knowledge of the following areas of law: data protection, GDPR, payments, IP, technology, SaaS
- You grasp new legal concepts quickly, and are not afraid to use your common sense
- Your communication skills are first class, and you are able to distil complex and cumbersome legalese into understandable English
- You are easy to work with, and want to work in a fun, fast-growing but demanding company
- You are not afraid to get stuck in and no task is too administrative or below you lending a hand
- Having worked with regulated clients or for a regulated business would be beneficial but not essential
- German language fluency and/or working in the German market would be an advantage
Don’t take this list as prescriptive: it’s just to give you a sense of who might do well at the job. We’d still love to hear from you if you don’t hit every point on the list, or if you have other experience.
We put a lot of effort into making iwoca a brilliant place to work with:
- Offices in London, Leeds and Frankurt
- Events and clubs, like bingo, comedy nights, yoga classes, football…
- Two company retreats a year, we’ve been to France, Italy, Spain and further afield
- Plenty of drinks and snacks in our offices
Our benefits package is second-to-none:
- Medical insurance from Vitality, including discounted gym membership
- 25 days’ holiday and an extra day off for your birthday
- Instant access to emotional and mental health support with our partner, Spill
- Share options
- Generous maternity leave and shared parental (?) leave
- A nursery tax benefit scheme to help you save money
- Paid volunteering time to support your chosen charity
- Extra leave if you want to travel or study
- One-month fully paid sabbaticals after 4 years
- Cycle-to-work scheme and electric car scheme
And to make sure we all keep learning, we offer:
- An L&D budget for everyone, including a book budget
- Company-wide talks with internal and external speakers
- Access to learning platforms like Treehouse if you want to learn to code