About Tech Nation
Tech Nation is the growth platform for tech companies and leaders. We fuel the growth of game-changing founders, leaders and scaling companies so they can positively transform societies and economies, by providing them with the coaching, content and community they need for their journey in designing the future.
We bring together a network of purposeful founders, leaders and philanthropists, progressive enterprises and policymakers, influential funds and institutions so we can collaborate in building the technological innovation that will improve the future for the UK and beyond.
We provide learning and content, insights and analysis, coaching and research. We’re laser focused on delivering powerful outcomes and impact, because collectively we want to create a world in which anyone with vision and drive can access the skills and support needed to scale and succeed as a game-changing leader. #WeAreTechNation. We fuel growth.
Our company values:
- Deliver impact that lasts
- Collaborate to innovate
- Inform to inspire
- Be all in
About the role
The Senior Research Manager will specialise in data collection, analysis, and reporting to support research on the UK tech ecosystem.
The successful candidate will play a critical role in delivering Insights work at Tech Nation - taking the lead on data focused components of projects to ensure their delivery makes an impact.
You will be entrepreneurial, highly analytical, a team player, and only satisfied when your work has a deep, meaningful impact. You will have a desire to break new ground and experiment. This role will enable you to do this, through offering opportunities to develop and be part of a range of innovative insights projects.
Your primary focus will be delivering these projects - making key contributions through the application of data analytics, which may include the use of web, official and open data. Alongside this work you will be required to develop new insights work, projects and contribute to commercial opportunities.
The maximum salary for this role is £45,000.
A Day in the Life of the Senior Research Manager might look something like this:
- An expert and a leader in data analysis
- Support technical decisions - the point of contact in the team for data related enquiries
- Collaborate with members of the business, technical and leadership teams
- Providing expertise, data support and advice on technical and non-technical issues associated with data analysis, methods and use
- Work in small to medium cross-organisational teams split across multiple geographies
- Working knowledge of Agile/ Kanban methods a plus
- Willing enthusiast to create change and spearhead adoption of data best practises, standards, and governance
- A data pioneer - looking for ways that you can work with the organisation through everyday activities to increase the robustness and authority with which data is used in Tech Nation, and specifically Insights projects
- Implement processes and good practice related to of data collection, storage, sharing, modelling, analysis, visualisation and management
- Put in place a data analysis plan or roadmap that you will implement through your work with the team
- Able to assess project scope and define timelines, plans, and roadmap
- Able to suggest improvement opportunities and identify solutions to technical challenges to support the Insights team and colleagues at Tech Nation more broadly
- Commitment to data quality and operational excellence
- Promote a development environment that is agile, fast-paced, and iterative.
- Project work on short to medium term commercial and non-commercial projects, to include data scoping, collection/ procurement, analysis, interpretation and writing up
Initial 1-3 month period will include:
- Understanding ways of working at Tech Nation
- Working with the Insights team to identify opportunities in existing projects
- Involvement and active contribution to data components of existing projects
- Assisting Insights Lead with short term media queries and internal requests
The following 6-12 month period will include:
- Leading on internal and external research projects
- Scoping opportunities for commercial revenue generating work
- Making a significant contribution, and in some cases leading on commercial and non-commercial projects at Tech Nation
- Professional development - working with academic, and industry colleagues to develop personal data analysis capabilities and considering the role that you could play in developing an upskilling programme for the organisation
- Support and time will be given to the successful candidate to facilitate this professional development, and ensure that meaningful training and learning can be achieved
As well as sharing our ambitions and values you will have:
- Excellent problem solving skills - you thrive when it comes to identifying problems and coming up with creative solutions
- Enjoy building something with other people, and love to see how your analysis and insights have a real-world impact
- Highly experienced with data and statistics management - ability to work with a range of data from official statistics, to web data (and everything in between)
- Highly developed understanding of data science, and statistical methods
- Appreciation of the economic, social and cultural contexts of work on the tech industry
- Curious about broader economic trends, and the impact that this has on jobs and skills, investment, and international trade
- Ability to critically interpret, evaluate and consolidate information into written research reports
- Experience using programs such as R, Python, and SQL
- Experience in statistical modelling or machine learning is a plus
- Knowledge about the UK tech sector, key challenges and ecosystem stakeholders
Where to from here?
We welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences. Our team includes women, men, mothers, fathers, the self-taught, the university-educated, and people of a wide variety of nationalities, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds.
Obviously, we’re looking to ensure it’s a solid fit from both sides: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to every day.
We know that diverse teams are strong teams, and welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences to apply to life at Tech Nation. We are committed to a fair and accessible recruitment process for all candidates. We would be happy to meet any accommodation requests during the application or interview process, please just let us know.