In short: Head of Marketing & Brand (Maternity Cover), Social Supermarket
At Social Supermarket we are striving towards a world where every business is a force for good. We connect socially conscious shoppers and employers with a conscience to purpose-driven brands on our DTC marketplace and corporate platform. In doing so, we are empowering better purchase decisions at home and work – and fundamentally addressing social and environmental issues. We call this the positive ripple effect.
We have ambitious goals to become the first “social unicorn” – not just a company with a £1bn valuation, but having impacted 1bn lives and we’re making great progress towards this, having grown 100% year on year for the past two years running. We are now looking for a champion who is passionate about the role business can play in addressing the world’s challenges – perhaps you’re ready to move from the corporate world into a start-up environment and are excited at the prospect to roll up your sleeves in a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment working across both B2B and B2C marketing to help us make more positive social impact and grow the social enterprise sector.
About Social Supermarket
Social Supermarket is the most comprehensive marketplace for social enterprise products in the UK. Launched in 2018, we have a range of 2,000+ products, from chutney that tackles food waste, apparel brands focused on sustainable supply chains and tea made by refugees.
Social enterprises are purpose-driven businesses that reinvest all, or part, of their profits back into their social mission. The challenge this market faces is that it is currently too hard to find and buy from these brands. Social Supermarket brings together hundreds of social enterprise retail products into a single e-commerce platform for consumers, and a corporate Platform for businesses. We feed a demand for purpose-driven products at home and work, while making it easy for early-stage social enterprises to reach new markets.
You’d be working alongside
Our team is made up of three co-founders with professional backgrounds and experience in sustainability, financial planning, strategy and software development. Alongside two other employees, you’ll be joining a small, driven team with high aspirations for our company and the impact it can have.
In June 2020, we successfully raised a seed investment round securing the backing of successful entrepreneur, Nigel Shanahan. In 2021, we became B Corp certified and in 2022 we were announced as one of the Escape 100, the top 100 companies to work at based on mission, impact and environmental credentials, as well as employee reviews.
This is a varied role and an amazing opportunity for the right candidate to play a key role in building on our early stage growth. This is a 13-month maternity cover role, allowing for a minimum 4 week handover period with scope for the role to develop as the business grows for the right person.
You’ll be running our marketing function and allowing our brand partners to reach our target markets, developing relationships with clients, showcasing our offering and driving client and customer orders. You will work closely with the three co-founders helping to grow our corporate and retail client base and brand awareness in the e-commerce and social impact landscapes, particularly as we roll out hard launch communications around new corporate software and offerings. This will involve strategic planning, implementation of marketing plans, development of marketing materials, involvement in client conversations and retention efforts.
What you’ll be doing
- Designing and delivering marketing campaigns in partnership with our 150+ social enterprise brand partners
- Conceptualising creative ideas that do a lot with a little and measuring/reporting back on the success of campaigns against pre-determined KPIs
- Determine needs and opportunities across the business, and resource the marketing department appropriately in line with quarterly budgets
- Acting as Brand Guardian, maintaining on-brand tone of voice and visuals across all brand touchpoints
- Managing organic, paid social and search campaigns – setting goals and overseeing freelancers to deliver PPC campaigns, Facebook and Instagram marketing and SEO projects
- Content marketing including copywriting and overseeing a freelance copywriter, writing weekly and seasonal emails in Klaviyo and blogs using a WooCommerce/Wordpress OS
- Content creation including creating Reels, Instagram posts, etc.and generating images and graphics in Illustrator and InDesign
- Asset management and production including planning and overseeing photoshoots, graphic design elements, website updates and printed materials
- Working closely with the sales team on lead generation for corporate sales
- Continuing to iterate on strategic business development planning including linking product development, marketing and sales planning, implementing automated processes and rolling out marketing to support the wider team and business goals
- Managing awards submissions, liaising with partners and strengthening our network to aid growth
- Liaising with an external PR agency, including writing press releases and sourcing relevant stories and assets from brand partners
- Affiliate management via AWIN and influencer/partnership collaboration generation and management
- Some e-commerce management, including onboarding new brands and products to the marketplace
- Some product development in collaboration with the wider team to ensure that available hampers and gift boxes reflect upcoming marketing opportunities and seasonal occasions
- Managing marketing budgets and reporting back to co-founders, as well as assisting in preparing reports for board meetings
Knowledge, skills and experience we’re looking for
- Experience running or exposure to successful marketing campaigns for B2B and/or B2C brands
- Commercially minded with the ability to distil data into actionable insights and present marketing ideas in reaction to both “brand” and financial ROI
- Stickler for the details, e.g. guarding brand tone of voice
- Excited about and an ability to sell our vision for the future of sustainable business
- A passion for business as a force for good
- A team player – you’ll be part of a small and ambitious team
- Hard-working and focused on executing against our ambitious goals
- Hands on experience in DTC e-commerce marketing
- Experience in digital marketing
- A natural content creator and storyteller
- An understanding of purpose-driven brands and the B Corp landscape
- Knowledge of Adobe: InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Hubspot experience
- Obsess over progress – we never settle for the ordinary. We want to be extraordinary.
- Love to learn – we identify gaps in our understanding and take steps to fill them.
- Be a cheerleader – we support our colleagues and build a fun atmosphere.
- Own the hard tasks – we follow through on what we say we will do.
- Challenge, respectfully – we leave egos at the door, everyone is willing to be challenged and together find whatever makes the boat go fastest.
- Make ripples – no action is too small to support our mission to create fundamental social change.
As is the nature of working at a start-up, most of us are generalists rather than specialists. If you don’t meet every requirement listed, then we encourage you to apply in any case. We are looking primarily for the right mindset and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace.
We encourage applications from people of the global majority, LGBTQ+, neurodiverse and disabled candidates. In the event that we ask you to come and meet us for a conversation and you are struggling financially, we may be able to reimburse you for any reasonable travel costs.
- Join a dynamic, entrepreneurial start-up changing the world for the better.
- Occasional taste-testing and product sampling – we make sure every food & drink product on our marketplace lives up to our standards, as well as creating positive impact
- The ability to deliver real change in the organisation away from red tape and bureaucracy
- Scope to grow with the business as it grows
- Fantastic office in Borough, the heart of South London with free gym, events programmes, member discounts and more
- Employee discount on our marketplace products
- Cycle to work scheme
- Team away days and regular socials e.g. this summer we went to Henley
- £35,000 - £42,000, depending on experience
To apply please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The recruitment process will be:
- 1st stage: virtual conversation
- 2nd stage: skills assessment or challenge
- 3rd stage: virtual/in-person conversation
Applications are shortlisted on a rolling basis, and we reserve the right to interview, appoint and remove this advert before the closing date. As such, we encourage you to apply at the earliest opportunity.