At Perlego, there are over 100 of us working hard to make learning accessible to all. In this digital age, we believe that anyone should be able to learn anything at any time. Knowledge should be more accessible, not locked behind sky-high price tags.
Over the past 5 years, our goal has been to support students across the UK & Europe to access quality books. We've just raised our $50million Series B funding round, and the next stage of Perlego is two fold: 1) expand our support to students globally, and 2) build a product that goes beyond the book, a platform that helps students study smarter and more effectively.
What we’re looking for
A confident BI Developer who is experienced in database design, SQL transformations, data quality and data lineage mapping. They should be familiar with established methodologies as well as modern design patterns.
The ideal candidate would be structured and detail oriented and see the value in change control, data quality and documentation. They should thrive on picking apart new data sources to understand data capture and usability. They would dream about schema design and how data can fit together! And should be enthusiastic about the use and value of data - understanding business use cases - and be motivated to make data accessible across the business.
We’re on AWS, with a multi-layer data lake, feeding a (currently!) basic reporting layer, also housed in s3. We have an in-house solution for scheduling jobs, that takes SQL scripts directly from github. So we’re looking for someone who will primarily work with SQL, but will be familiar with cloud implementations and be willing to learn any new tool that is required.
How we work together
Our daily stand-ups will give you the opportunity to explain your goals for the day and highlight any areas where you need help. Weekly team meetings will give you more insight into what everyone else is working on and where we are going as a team. We manage our projects & communication through Jira, GitHub, notion and Slack. We regularly meet for brainstorming and collaboration and if possible this is in person in the office. We are advocates of being open and helping each other to grow and encourage you to push your boundaries :-)
What you’ll do
Work collaboratively with our existing data engineering and data analyst teams to ensure that the data platform meets our reporting needs and that the data reported is accurate and complete.
You will own and re-design the reporting layer, including the SQL transformations. This will involve developing a thorough knowledge of the data we capture - understanding all of our source data and its idiosyncrasies. It will also require a deep understanding of how the business intends to use the data in order to design an appropriate solution to make this easy for them, and implementing the new table structure and transformation scripts to make it happen.
We also want to increase transparency for data users, and will need to improve our understanding of how data is captured, ensure that the lineage is mapped, the reporting layer is documented and users are trained to use it.
Finally, our existing BI tool is quite basic, and we would like to implement a more advanced tool. This implementation and roll out to the business would be part of the role.
What success looks like for this role in 12 months
- In 3 months you will have designed a new reporting schema to support slicing and dicing of key business metrics
- In 6 months you will have implemented the new design and rolled out a BI tool that can be used to exploit that data
- In 12 months you will have mapped our data lineage, have a robust BI reporting system in place and solid processes for supporting and training end users so that they are using it regularly
It’s the perfect role for you if you have:
- Skills in Data Modelling, with experience designing data warehouse structures
- Experience in working in AWS
- Strong focus on quality control and testing
- Hands-on experience creating quality data transformations
- Excellent SQL
- Some experience of python
- Strong knowledge of data warehouses such as Redshift, BigQuery or Snowflake
- Experience of Athena
- Experience or willingness to learn about data lakes / lakehouse solutions
- Strong knowledge and experience in BI tools such as Looker or Sisense
- Accustomed to using Github or similar
- 5 years of experience in a similar role
- Willingness to learn new tools & technologies
⭐️ It’s a plus if you have:
- Experience working in a start-up environment
- Advanced python
- Experience training end users
- Experience in data warehouse or reporting migration
- Experience visualizing large amount of data
✨Salary available: £55,000 - £65,000 + equity
🌈 Benefits include:
We offer flexibility in where you work, choose between the office or remote - we are a London based company, but also hire remotely across the UK and Europe
🌱 Personal development
We value continuous learning, you will get £500 per year to spend on training of your choice
🧳 Work-life balance
Everyone needs a break, so enjoy 30 days off (incl. bank holidays) + 1 week over Christmas (or religious holidays of your choice).
🚲 Cycle to work scheme
We're committed to building a sustainable business, so we encourage cycling to work. Perlego will buy your bike of choice, which you'll pay back over 12 months.
🧘🏽♀️Health & wellbeing
We want everyone to feel healthy and happy, so you get the choice of a wellbeing subsidy or health insurance via Vitality. You will also get access to a counselling support service via Spill.
We're a tight-knit bunch who enjoy our time to play. We have regular social events and activities for everyone - everything from white water rafting to board game nights.
🍼 Family time
We believe family is really important; we offer new parents a competitive parental leave.