At Beam, you get to do work that really matters. We’re solving the world’s toughest social problems. And we’re growing fast 🚀
It’s not easy. Nothing worth doing ever is. But we take care of everyone who works here with everything from coaching to personal budgets and pay highly competitively.
You’ll be joining a company that’s having a huge impact on people’s lives with a culture where you can be yourself, have fun and progress rapidly.
About the role
You’ll be supporting Alex to be the most effective CEO and leader possible by serving as his quick-thinking and acting and utterly trustworthy second pair of hands.
- Solving whatever problem, big or small, Alex passes to you
- Working cross-functionally, including with the Talent and Finance teams and flexibly taking on management responsibilities
- Leading on People ops processes, such as ensuring the team understands, drafts, finalises and iterates top-quality OKRs
- Helping Alex hire by writing job specs, sourcing and interviewing candidates and advising on org design
- Supporting Alex with board packs, external and internal talk prep, and social media posts
- Proactively generating a chunk of your own work by spotting opportunities to fix, improve and simplify
- Humble yet highly ambitious and pride yourself on being an all-rounder who loves getting stuff done
- Extremely emotionally intelligent and able to build strong working relationships with anyone
- Exceptionally high integrity and used to handling confidential and sensitive information
- At your best when under pressure and at home in uncertain, fast-paced environments
- Unfazed and excited by new challenges - if you haven’t done something before, you'll channel your energy into figuring it out
- Experience and demonstrable impact as part of a senior team in a high-growth startup - we don’t need a former Chief of Staff (though that would be great!)
- Very strong PowerPoint and Excel / GSheets skills - you're a dab hand at telling compelling stories through slides and answering questions with data
- Experience with financial projections and accounting - we're not looking for an accountant but you'll know your way around a P&L
- Experience running or building out people processes in a rapidly scaling team, including with OKRs
- Exceptional communication and writing skills - you communicate clearly and concisely and can write punchy, readable English
We’re a small team of passionate, problem solvers working from our beautiful coworking space in Moorgate and at home. We’ve picked up an armful of awards for our work (including one from the Queen!) and we’re rated as a top company to work for by Escape the City and The Dots.
We're committed to hiring diversely and inclusively. You don’t need a degree to work here. We especially want to hear from ethnic minority candidates and/or those who’ve experienced social disadvantage.
63% of people we support come from ethnic minority backgrounds and 17% have disabilities. We believe we can serve these people best when we’re a diverse, inclusive team.
- Highly competitive startup salary
- Generous EMI-qualifying share options
- Annual company retreat
- New laptop – choose between a MacBook Air or PC
- £500 personal development budget
- Regular team talks from leading UK tech entrepreneurs
- Hundreds of perks, discounts and freebies from Perkbox
- Free subscription to Calm meditation app
- Discounted bike and accessories with Cyclescheme
- Unlimited holiday (minimum 20 days)
- Hybrid working from our Moorgate office or at home
We have a four-stage interview process, giving you plenty of time to learn about Beam while we get to know you.
- 30-minute video call with Alex
- Timed practical test, giving you a better sense of the role
- Short presentation
- Three informal chats with people at Beam, including cofounder and COO, Seb Barker
Start your journey to the most rewarding and challenging role of your career. We're excited to hear from you.