How might frontier technologies like drones and alternate connectivity tackle some of the biggest challenges in development? What’s the venture or entity that would better link researchers with employers to improve health outcomes for employees? How can we reach 500 million people with life-changing assistive technologies - while avoiding the unintended consequences of scaling new technologies for the most marginalised?
These are just some of the questions we’re exploring in our work. To tackle them, we are on the lookout for a talented and driven mid-level Innovation Manager to join us.
At Brink we create a vision of the future world we’d like to see, then use a blend of innovation methods to design and run experiments in the real world, gathering evidence of what works to validate or disprove our thinking.
Going from ideas and evidence to action and impact means mixing a range of innovation approaches, and we are building a team with a range of innovation methods and skills to draw from. For example, we’re particularly interested in people with experience in any of lean startup, lean impact, startup or venture building, product management, agile, service design, corporate venturing, behavioural insights, and/or adaptive management to join us. Regardless of your background, if you’re a hybrid thinker, who has proven skills and experience in one or more of those areas, and wants to put them to use making meaningful impact in the world, we’d love to hear from you.
Here’s an overview of what’s expected.
Ideal candidates will be able to demonstrate:
1. Entrepreneurialism on behalf of the team and the problem
- An understanding that innovation is about managing uncertainty and risk accountably and measurably. As such you are able to hold teams to account, while always being on their side
- Scientific but human, mixing an understanding of how people “tick” with a desire to test ideas thoroughly and with rigour
- Able to act strategically, on behalf of teams, making connections and joining useful dots for them. You retain this strategic mindset even when faced with numerous and constantly shifting priorities
- Know Lean Startup inside out and back again , you know how that it is both broad and thin and how to weave in human centered design, research and creativity to experimentation in a way that results in velocity (You also know the difference between speed and velocity. You are not a busy fool)
2. Communication and influence
- Natural facilitator, with the confidence to help teams tease apart their facts, opinions and guesses. Enjoys enabling innovation in others
- An effective communicator, able to relay messages clearly and influence across different organisational and geographical contexts and virtually over audio and video
3. Global outlook and experience
- Enjoys problem-solving with others in different contexts, from global governments to grassroots innovators in developing countries
- Curious about the latest trends in technology and innovation, and how these may impact emerging markets
- Culturally sensitive, able to understand and empathise with international contexts and explore how values and beliefs play a role in innovation
- Bonus points if you speak French
4. Interpersonal skills (being a ‘Brinkster’):
- Growth mindset, keen and eager to experiment and learn, comfortable with not knowing all the answers yet, and happy to let stuff go when it doesn’t quite hit the mark
- Is ‘interoperable’, quickly establishes rapport with all kinds of people
- Enjoys ‘making others shine', Brink is a low-ego zone that thrives on making our colleagues, clients and collaborators shine
- Self-starter, proactive, can 'get on with it', has a sense of agency and a point of view
You’ll also have access to extra things to support you to be your best self, in and out of work:
🐙 A role that isn’t available for anyone else and shaped around you and your interests
🏖 'Take what you need' annual leave policy
🧠 Dedicated coaching for your mental health and wellbeing from Sanctus
🎒 Brink retreats and away days
📚 Kindle with unlimited books
🎓 Training budget
🏡 WFH budget
🚴♀️ Access to a cycle to work scheme
🐣 16 weeks 'parenthood' leave
How to apply
If you’re interested in joining us, please click on the beautiful ‘apply’ button on this page. It will take you to an online application form where we will ask you to upload your CV as well as a response to the following questions:
Please write us a one page letter telling us...
- Your story and why you believe this is the right role for you
- A case study or piece of work you’re proud of - include links out to websites, videos or other places where we can see your work. Ideally this work will be ‘live’ and out in the world
- Offer us a recommendation for a book, article, podcast or something else that’s shaped your thinking lately
You are encouraged to be as creative as you are comfortable with and choose any structure or layout to present your information, as long as you keep it under 50mb.
Please also answer the question below with a 2 minute video, 500 words, voice recording or any other format which you would prefer - we’re open to the weird and wonderful
- If you had to choose one of Lean Impact or Design Thinking to address complex (i.e. Social or climate) problems. Which method would you choose, what do you see its limitations as and how would you overcome them?
📅 The deadline for this application is 12PM GMT on Monday 30th May 2022. You will receive an email from the system to confirm your application has been received and we will be in touch (we aim for within 2 weeks) to let you know if we’ll be taking it further.
Application Launch: 11th May 2022
Closing date: 30th May 2022
First interviews: w/c 6th June
Final interviews: w/c 13th June
Start date: As soon as possible after an offer is made
🔗 OUR COMMITMENT AS BRINK
We hire people that don’t just ‘fit in’, but instead actively seek to help build and shape our culture. That’s why diversity and inclusion matters to us. We work globally across geographies, contexts and organisations, so embracing diversity, being inclusive and treating people with equity are central to what we do; we take pleasure in being that way.
Brink is committed to being an inclusive workplace that represents the diverse communities we serve and we actively encourage applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds. We particularly encourage applications from Black, POC, transgender identities and disability groups, who are currently under-represented within Brink.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability or age. We are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments individuals may require in the recruitment process, on commencement, or once in post.
❓❗ QUESTIONS THAT PEOPLE OFTEN ASK US:
How many years of experience do I have to have?
Higher education qualifications are not needed for this role. It’s a remarkable opportunity to work with some of the best changemakers in the world and the right person will have an opportunity to establish their career brilliantly on this work.
Where is this role based?
Brink is a remote team and we work all over the place from London, Paris, Nairobi, and Kigali! If you're currently a UK resident, then you can work for Brink outside of the UK for a maximum of 100 days within the tax year. We can also accept applications from candidates based in countries that are on London time +/- 3 hours, but we will review these on a case by case basis.