Become a co-founder of a scalable climatetech startup through Carbon13’s Venture Builder.
If you want to move the needle on emissions by millions of tonnes, then Carbon13 is currently the strongest launchpad for you to build a scalable decarbonisation or carbon capture venture from scratch— because our Venture Builder programme is the only place where a cofounder can do all these three things:
- Find their technical cofounder among the scientists, developers and engineers who make up the rest of our cohort to form a team capable of executing game-changing innovations
- Understand the carbon intelligence of their solution to maximise its potential to reduce emissions – and communicate this to investors, customers, and stakeholders
- Develop both the commercial and strategic groundwork to scale the startup to 10 million tonnes of CO2e emissions reduction per year.
Typically, commercial founders include entrepreneurs, operators, corporate leaders, commercial directors from industry, anyone with a track record of execution and commercial acumen. You will most likely become the CEO of the startup and lead on the commercial strategy, fundraising and customer development.
Working on a climatetech idea already?
Unlike accelerators, you do NOT need an idea or MVP to join Carbon13, though you can apply with one if you do. You will either be supported to find an idea to develop which can significantly reduce emissions, or join a cofounder/team who bring IP or an idea or strong insights into an emitting industry.
As a founder with a commercial skillset, you may choose to apply your skills to a software idea, or, you may choose to cofound a hardtech or deeptech startup with a scientist/engineer cofounder. Half of our ventures are software, half are science-based/hardtech. You can view our portfolio of ventures at www.carbonthirteen.com/our-portfolio
How does Carbon13 work?
On Carbon13 you are building a startup as part of a cohort of 70 founders. You are not sat in a room being told what you already know. Our programme is designed to 10x the work you're doing, because the planet doesn't have time to waste on theory or incremental ideas.
-Phase 1: Teaming * Ideation in 6 weeks
You will find a cofounder in the first 6 weeks. As a commercial cofounder you most likely will team up with a technical cofounder from a science, engineering or software background. On average 90% of the 70 founders on the cohort form teams within 6 weeks.
-Phase 2: Validation in 9 weeks
Your team will intensely work on:
Team strengthening | Carbon intelligence | Rapid iterations of concepts | Business model forming | Prototype testing | Intellectual property | Customer development | Stakeholder development | Behaviour change | Governance | Venture incorporation
-Phase 3: Acceleration in 4 months
After Phase 2, we invest pre-seed into 14 ventures. They then use Phase 3 to focus on market, product, business model and strategy to prepare the venture for further seed-stage investment. We also help you look at scaling strategies, managing growth pains and developing a funding strategy.
Applications are open now for our next two cohorts:
- Berlin Cohort 1 starts 21st February 2023
- Cambridge Cohort 5 starts 14th March 2023
Apart from nine in-person days in Berlin or Cambridge, you can do the programme from anywhere in the world. The rest of the programme is delivered remotely.
We are running a series of webinars available to everyone who would like to learn more about Carbon13 and how to build startups with breakthrough solutions for the climate. Our next one for commercial founders can be found here - https://carbonthirteen.com/webinars/
Carbon13 in numbers:
- £3.5 million investment across 32 ventures since 2021
- 65% have already raised further funding
- 50% of the ventures are software, 50% science or hardware based
- 70 potential cofounders on every cohort
- 35 technical, 35 commercial cofounders
- 90% of each cohort forms a cofounding team within 6 weeks
- 100s of domain experts, carbon experts, entrepreneurs in residence
- 10 million tonnes of emissions every year. We only launch startups that have the potential to reduce emissions by 10 million tonnes.
We caused climate change. Let's fix it.