About Gravity Sketch
Gravity Sketch is on a mission to revolutionise the way designers bring their ideas to life! We've developed the first end-to-end 3D design platform that allows teams to carry out work from the early phases of the design process all the way through to hand-off for productionisation.
Our platform helps design teams to create and communicate 3D ideas in the quickest and most intuitive way possible - whether they are globally distributed or in the same geography. The tools we’ve developed are revolutionising the way companies carry out their day to day work, fostering more collaboration and creative outputs whilst significantly reducing a product’s “time to market” making the product development process more sustainable!
The Gravity Sketch platform is accessible across VR, tablet, and web-based applications allowing users to integrate GS seamlessly into their workflow. Cross-discipline teams at companies such as Ford Motor Company and Adidas depend on the platform to collaborate and deliver world-class products both physical and digital. Being highly skilled in the use of Gravity Sketch is important for new hires in industry leaders such as Adidas sitting alongside tools like Adobe’s Photoshop.
- Just closed an $33m Series A round led by Accel and GV, with some exciting angels joining such as Tony Fadell (inventor of the iPod and iPhone), Will Smith (Dreamers VC), Kevin Durant and Rich Kleiman (Thirty Five Ventures), Soleio (famed as the “Like button” designer) and Paul Robson (Adobe’s Head of International)
- We have 4x our revenue and 5x our user base in the last year
- ~1.5 million app downloads (most of which in the last 18 months)
Our Team & Culture
We’re a lean but ambitious team of ~85 spread across the globe. We may be geographically spread out, but we’re tied by our mission to radically change how teams communicate ideas spatially and expressively from anywhere. Read more about our culture here : https://www.gravitysketch.com/careers/
What you'll be doing
We’re looking for an experienced Engineering Manager with a strong technical background to help us to support our engineers in one of our product teams
As an Engineering Manager at Gravity Sketch, we expect you to coach and guide our engineers’ growth. Help them and the collective team to understand their performance and outcomes, work with them to help them learn from mistakes and maximise their outcome and impact.
As a manager within our Engineering function, you will become a Subject Matter Expert on our product and will need to have a deep understanding of our tech stack. We are customer obsessed and this needs to truly resonate with you!
As Gravity Sketch grows, so will your team. We will look to you to hire, onboard and subsequently mentor your team to support them with their personal development and growth. Impact is one of our values at GS, so being able to drive, execute and measure your team's impact and set clear goals and expectations are all part and parcel of this role. Impact is not limited to engineering impact but also product impact. GS is customer centred and product oriented. You will collaborate with EMs and other stakeholders to understand what matters the most and how to help our engineers to maximise their impact.
- Help our engineers to understand their goals and focus and define our expectations with them together
- Be a best practice evangelist but also understand the balance between the best engineering practices vs get things done and delivered. You will help our engineers to focus on outcome over output
- Understand our engineers’ strengths and weaknesses. Understand their performance based on their outcome
- Define the strategic vision for your team, establishing objectives and successfully delivering the product that executes that vision
- Hiring, building and developing your team. Great products are built by great teams and delivering through others is your primary responsibility. You will hire the right mix of engineers to accomplish your team's goals
- Execution ownership. You will drive the execution within your team, proactively following up and chasing if necessary, working successfully with stakeholders, leaders, and other engineering teams to communicate status clearly and ensure the team stays unblocked
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field, or comparable experience
- Minimum 3 years engineering team management experience
- Proven hands-on technical management.
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-performance technical teams
- Experience building and scaling high-achieving engineering teams
- Big picture thinking - correctly diagnosing problems, shaping and building innovative teams
Bonus points if you have
- Experience building and leading a software engineering team(s) within a scaling organization driving hiring and directly managing the employee careers
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills to partner closely with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
- Extensive experience coding in C#, C++, Java and/or Golang with an appreciation for professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Uncapped holidays: Startup world is busy, we encourage taking time off to recharge and rest.
- Remote Flexible working: we appreciate that everyone has their optimum setup and things to work around in life. We support remote and hybrid working as well as varying hours.
- £50 month personal wellbeing budget
- Private healthcare
- £1,000 personal budget per year for professional development. You will learn a lot here but there may be more want or need. With this budget, we aim to support you in your career growth.
- Team lunch Wednesdays: out together in person, or virtually with food delivery credit.
- Socials, ski trips & a biannual global meet up: we are passionate about bringing everyone together whenever we can, this helps build tighter bonds and alignment.
- Enhanced parental leave policy (maternity and paternity)
- Cyclescheme & Techscheme
- Chance to work at a fast growing start-up changing how the products of the future are designed, and exposure to a transparent startup journey
- Real work ownership - you drive your own initiatives and have an opportunity to take your work all the way through to launch.
- Opportunity to work with some of the world’s leading design companies
- Transparent insight into the startup journey, plus unparalleled learning if you’re up for the challenge!