About Gravity Sketch
Our team is on a mission to revolutionise the way we bring ideas to life and fundamentally change the way 3D design is done today. We help design teams to create and communicate 3D ideas in the quickest and most intuitive way possible. We've developed the first end-to-end 3D design platform that allows teams to carry out work from the early phases of the design process all the way through to hand-off for productionisation. The tools we have developed are changing the way companies across automotive, industrial design, and entertainment industries carry out their day-to-day work. The platform is helping teams deliver more creative outputs, foster better collaboration, and compress products' time to market resulting in a much more sustainable product development process. The platform offers VR, tablet, and web-based applications allowing users to bring the tools seamlessly into their workflow. Cross-discipline teams at companies such as Ford Motor Company and Adidas depend on the platform to collaborate and deliver world-class products both physical and digital. Being highly skilled in the use of Gravity Sketch is important for new hires in industry leaders such as Adidas/Yeezy, sitting alongside tools like Adobe’s Photoshop.
- Just closed an $33m Series A round led by Accel and GV, with some exciting angels joining such as Tony Fadell (inventor of the iPod and iPhone), Will Smith (Dreamers VC), Kevin Durant and Rich Kleiman (Thirty Five Ventures), Soleio (famed as the “Like button” designer) and Paul Robson (Adobe’s Head of International)
- We have 4x our revenue and 5x our user base in the last year
- ~1.5 million app downloads (most of which was in the last 18 months)
Our Team & Culture
We’re a lean but ambitious team of ~85 spread across the globe (UK, Europe & North America). We may be geographically spread out, but we’re tied by our mission to radically change how teams communicate ideas spatially and expressively from anywhere.
Impact, ownership and being part of our team on a mission are at the heart of our culture. We encourage everyone to experiment, bring new ideas to the table, and challenge one another in order to arrive at the best solutions for our users. Trustis another fundamental, which is echoed through autonomy of our work. We rely on each other to be resourceful, make decisions quickly, give honest feedback, ask for help, or do whatever needs to be done in order to make a positive impact on the team, users, or business.
We are all learning as we build this business and find that with each new addition to the team our ambition grows. We look for teammates that wish to grow with us on the journey; we value individuals with a curiosity to learn and eagerness to take initiative, following through on the work we initiate. Innovation day takes place every month, creating space to focus on an innovative passion project (something that would be cool for users).
We work hard, and know how to have fun too; with company trips, socials, sports, gaming sessions and more. We welcome you to share your hobbies with the team so we can all try something new!
What you'll be doing
This role will be a fully remote position based in Taiwan.
This role will involve designing and developing large scale distributed systems to support real-time multi-user interactions in an Immersive Product (yes, even more complex than an MMO), with 3D collaboration.
As a Backend Engineer in an immersive technology company, you need to understand our products and have empathy with our users. You must also have the passion and motivation to improve, propose, design, and develop scalable backend systems to support low latency interactions across multi-platform applications such as desktop, mobile devices, design tablets, AR, VR and so on. You understand PoC, MVP, and production development, and can properly address and balance the quality (scalability, reliability, extensibility, flexibility etc) of the systems you are going to deliver in timeline.
With a solid engineering foundation, you have a strong motivation to learn new skills and knowledge in cutting edge technologies, and are always willing to try, propose, redesign, and refactor alternative solutions to be more efficient, while reducing errors, and minimising human interactions for easier maintenance.
What we look for
- Candidate must be based in Taiwan
- Bachelor’s degree in fields related to Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, or Engineering
- Development experience in Java and Golang
- Understand and adopt rigorous industry-standard coding and design pattern best practices, including SOLID
- Experience with distributed systems and a strong understanding of distributed databases
- Experience with AWS and its service tech stack
- Keen interest in continuously learning new and emerging technologies
- Willing to get hands on live operation
- Willing to move forward with legacy and debts and can help to fix legacy and debts.
- A problem solver - someone who is not just able to identify problems, they also propose solutions
- Experience using Docker and Kubernetes
- A good understanding of and experience building and designing scalable systems
- Experience with modern infrastructure tooling (Terraform, Pulumi, ArgoCD)
- Experience monitoring and handling incident response of the infrastructure, platforms and core engineering services.
- Understanding of network protocols such as TCP, HTTP/S and Load Balancing and the contexts in which they are used (for example, understanding the differences between AWS Application Load Balancer against AWS Network Load Balancer).
Bonus points if you have
- Experience in large scale projects, working in teams
- Experience with large scale distributed systems
- Experience with docker, kubernetes, terraform and promote infrastructure as code
- Understand concurrency, high-multi threading and low latency interactions
- Understand and know how to build a scalable system
- Experience deploying to AWS or Google Cloud
- Understand how to and be able to implement an automated development process