About HIVED 📦
The world needs logistics solutions that are better for people and the environment. That’s where HIVED comes in. We are a London-based climate and logistics start-up building the first-ever sustainable parcel delivery network at scale, now shipping for over 100 brands including ASOS, Minor Figures, Allpress, Pip & Nut and more. A tech company at heart, we have built a modern tech stack and intelligent routing, and are massively innovative in a traditional industry. We care about ethical employment, too: our fantastic Delivery Team is highly trained in customer care and paid hourly for fair wages.
All of this means businesses can get emission-free deliveries with better service at more affordable prices. It’s parcel delivery reimagined; better all around for everyone, from start to end, warehouse to doorstep.
Our tightknit team is made up of ex-Revolut, Bain, GoPuff, ASOS, Apple, Amazon and Bulb employees, and we are backed by some of Europe's leading investors and VCs in climate-tech, logistics and mobility including Maersk Growth, Pale Blue Dot VC, Eka Ventures, the British government and more.
Role Overview 📝
We are looking for an ambitious and versatile backend engineer to work on new and existing services that power HIVED’s emission-free parcel delivery network. As a backend engineer, you will be an integral part of a cross-functional team (software engineering, data as well as domain-specific) that’s responsible for the full software development life cycle, from discovery, design, and deployment, to monitoring production systems.
You will have a tangible impact on growing HIVED's software backend in a rapid but sustainable fashion. HIVED will depend on you to ensure that our backend is reliable and maintainable for both internal and external users. This role reports to the Technical Lead.
- Design, implement and maintain a scalable backend architecture to power HIVED’s operations and growth
- Plan and lead projects along with other software engineers and product managers
- Deliver high quality solutions and features with speed and end-to-end ownership of your projects
- Maintain current systems and infrastructure, including integrations with 3rd party services
- Monitor and optimize service performance
- Design, improve, and manage the complexity of our APIs
- Improve and scale engineering processes, tools, and standards
- Write technical documentation
- Operate with a security-first mindset by creating security and data protection settings
We’re looking for a polyglot backend engineer with a strong track record of working on large-scale software engineering projects. You’ll be a great candidate for this role if most of the things listed below are true:
- Proven experience as a backend engineer or similar role, preferably with 2+ years of experience
- Proficient in multiple backend languages (preferably Python, TypeScript, optionally Java) and can build services from scratch in most of those languages
- Have built and improved 3rd-party integrations and internal/external APIs in the past
- Self-directed learning who can quickly gain an operational knowledge of new technology quickly and independently
- Familiarity with a range of technologies, databases and cloud stacks (preferably MongoDB, AWS) and previous exposure to Infrastructure as Code (we use AWS CDK)
- Clear and direct communicator with great organisational skills
- Strong collaboration skills with internal and external stakeholders
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
How we reward our team
- Dynamic working environment
- Joining a diverse and driven team
- Hybrid working set-up with in-person time expected at both our Shoreditch office and Tottenham based depot
- Huge opportunity for learning in a high growth environment
- Growth and progression within the organisation based on success in the role
- Company socials
- Brand new MacBook Pro or Windows Laptop (depending on your preference)
- Employee wellbeing initiatives, including access to workplace therapy and three ‘well-being days’ in addition to holiday allowance
- Enhanced maternity pay