Job title: Head of Resilience
Team: Global Resilience Programme Team
Reporting to: Director of Strategy and Programmes
Responsible for: Resilience Projects Manager, and others as funding secured
Closing date: 24th March 2023
1st stage Interviews: Week commencing 3rd April 2023
Reporting to the Director of Strategy and Programmes, the Head of Resilience is a newly created role designed to launch and lead a multi-year, multi-regional, and cross-functional programme designed to scale-up global financing of resilience investments through capital markets. The Programme will be delivered through a matrix-based implementation approach and thus requires a strong degree of leadership for collaboration and coordination.
The role will lead the overall resilience programme to success through maximising synergies within and between projects and programmes as well as ensuring the resilience programme is strategically positioned to exploit emerging opportunities, including support for fundraising. The Head of Resilience will be the focal point and representative of the programme, including chairing of the planned Resilience Taxonomy Advisory Group and other key working groups, external engagement with funders, partners, and networks, and providing leadership on internal coordination. The Head of Resilience will recruit, line-manage, and be supported by a Resilience Projects Manager who will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of projects with the programme. The team is expected to grow rapidly as we secure further funding.
The Head of Resilience role requires a high degree of organization, personal initiative, flexibility, and willingness to collaborate. The role is suited to someone who is comfortable with thought leadership, relationship management, and is experienced in project implementation. The Global Head of Resilience will contribute to the generation of a work environment that is inclusive, highly productive, team-focused, and results-oriented.
- Facilitate internal consensus and continual development of the programme strategy to establish suitable strategies, objectives, and long-term goals that are coherent, results-oriented, and aligned to CBI’s theory of change and our capacities to deliver.
- Lead and facilitate consultative decision-making processes on scope of the programme and constituent projects, particularly on geographic focus, thematic focus, financial instruments, and target stakeholders.
- Develop an evaluation method to assess program strengths and identify areas for improvement including monitoring and tracking programmatic goals and outcomes, and leading change processes as needed.
- Ensure ongoing process of strategy communication internally and aligning teams around the goals of the programme and integrating into their own workplans.
- Provide close support and input to the Fundraising and Programme Design team to design funding proposals including estimation of effort, budget, and delivery schedules
- Identify potential funding opportunities and support the FPD team in fundraising activities
- Be part of the donor engagement, communicating effectively on progress, timelines, and be responsible for reporting in conjunction with the Project Owner and stakeholders
- Support P&C and delivery teams to develop appropriate JDs and participate in recruitment processes to support a balanced team and skillsets
- Effective coordination of the programme’s projects, and management of their interdependencies through collaborating with the Heads of Teams and cross-functional communication to manage deliverables across all teams to deliver programme objectives, outcomes and outputs in line with milestones set by the funder and overall programme design.
- Support the embedding of resilience-focuses strategies and activities into CBI teams such that it becomes business-as-usual and integrated into their team strategies
- Establish and chair a Resilience Taxonomy Advisory Group and sub-working groups to support the development of resilience definitions and frameworks including identifying and on-boarding experts to participate and guide CBI’s work on resilience taxonomy and other Programme objectives
- Oversee and manage the Resilience Programme Coordinator to ensure successful operational delivery of projects that are under the remit of the Resilience Programme
- Overseeing the programmes budget, working with Resilience Programme Coordinator and team focal points to monitor project expenditure and costs against delivered and realised benefits as the programme progresses.
- Working with Programme Assurance and Learning, to provide programme level reporting on deliverables, resources, and budgets for SMT oversight in accordance with reporting cycles and methodology agreed.
- Retain a high-level involvement in emerging resilience finance discussion in key geographies, keeping pace with the ongoing developments in taxonomies, regulations, policy, market & investor trends.
- Represent CBI in global and regional working groups, coalitions, and initiatives focused on advancing financing solutions for resilience
- Produce thought leadership pieces, blogs, and other communications products to create momentum and raise the profile of CBI’s resilience programme objectives
Cross-functional Leadership and Coordination
- Input into the Standards Team in the development approaches, frameworks, and standards to define credible investments in climate resilience
- Input into the Taxonomy Team in the development of CBI’s framework, approach and taxonomy for resilience investments – applying a systems lens and encompassing physical, social, ecological, and economic resilience
- Input into the Policy Team for the development of actionable recommendations targeting public and private sector stakeholders on how to address barriers to resilience investments
- Input into the Market Intelligence and Partnerships Team to develop decision-useful guidance and tools targeting investors and issuers of green and resilience bonds
- Input into Regional and TA Teams on the delivery of advisory and capacity building activities around resilience
- Work with SLT to promote ownership of the Resilience Programme and its various projects and deliverables
Stakeholder and Partnership Engagement
- Make sure that CBI is represented in prominent initiatives and A&R stakeholder groups to convert these into meaningful partnerships to co-deliver results
- Use own network to identify technical experts to join Technical Working Groups and support the CBI Standards Team in develop sector-specific criteria to enable certification of resilience bonds
- Engagement with end-users and relevant stakeholders to promote the uptake of the resilience taxonomy, standards, and other guidance
- Support regional teams in leading engagement efforts with local stakeholders to increase the uptake to the resilience programme guidance and tools
What’s in it for you?
- Impactful responsibilities from the day you join with responsibility for your own learning curve, the role is what you make of it and the possibilities depend on you.
- Amazing opportunities for career progression and structured career development – we’ll work with you to explore your learning development and career potential
- We offer a structured and bespoke induction programme specifically suited to the team you’ll be joining and the specific role you’ll be doing. During your first few months, you’ll be given all the training you need to succeed in your role.
- Opportunity to attend a series of Lunch and Learns, delivered by internal subject matter experts and external guest speakers
- An international and diverse work atmosphere
- The chance to be part of our rapid growth and play a key role in the next exciting phase of Climate Bonds Initiative journey
- Everyone that joins us is given the opportunity to undertake our signature Green Bond training, which is recognised and certified by CPD.