Ecological Data Scientist – Introduction
If you have a PhD in a scientific discipline that has helped you build strong quantitative and coding skills this is a great opportunity to develop your career with an expanding science-based SME with a bright future.
As a world leader in delivering nature data and intelligence, NatureMetrics brings the power of genetics to frontline environmental management. Our products allow our customers to make better decisions for business and nature. We have grown rapidly over the last five years and validated our technology in multiple industry sectors and regions of the world. We now have an exciting scale up plan backed by ambitious and supportive investors. We aim to be the premier provider of nature data to companies globally by 2025 and you can now join the team.
We are looking for a highly motivated Ecological Data Scientist to implement statistical models to support environmental impact assessment, ecological rewilding and restoration, and measuring biodiversity intactness.
Ecological Data Scientist – The Role
- Maintain & develop existing statistical analyses pipelines, for DNA-based biodiversity datasets, enabling clients to embed Nature into their decision-making.
- Learn & incorporate new & appropriate methods from the statistics & ecology literature into company analysis pipelines.
- Collaborate with colleagues to ensure report outputs are accurate & high-quality.
- Collaborate with colleagues to prepare tenders.
- Contribute to the data analysis component of large projects, including community analysis & comparisons between conventional & DNA-based data.
- Ensure that the analyses undertaken by the company are statistically & ecologically robust.
- Contribute to client reports, scientific publications & grant applications.
Ecological Data Scientist – About You
- PhD in a scientific discipline
- Strong quantitative & Python or R coding skills
- Excellent organisational & time management skills
- A natural ability to multi-task & prioritise workload.
- Very organised with excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent communication, presentation & interpersonal skills.
- Used to working effectively in a matrixed environment.
Ecological Data Scientist – Nice to Have
- Experience of using GitHub version control to maintain code.
- Experience with ecological statistics, especially multivariate community analysis, occupancy modelling, and/or species distribution modelling.
- Experience with DNA-based data, GIS, mapping, and/or study design.
Ecological Data Scientist – What Is In It For You
We offer great personal development opportunities and roles with breadth, depth of scope and impact. We also offer comprehensive packages including:
- Competitive Salary (depending on experience)
- 25 days holiday excluding bank holidays
- Company pension
- Flexible 40-hour week (core hours 10am to 4pm) including 1 hour paid lunch
- Cycle to Work Scheme,
- Enhanced family friendly policy
- Dedicated well-being room
- Health insurance.
- Life Assurance
Ecological Data Scientist – How to Apply
Apply online via the link below and we will get back to you.
We are advocates of a healthy work life balance and mental wellbeing. We are happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles.
At NatureMetrics diversity and inclusion are part of our DNA. Together, we continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees. It fuels our innovation and connects us to the communities we work with. Our values leave no space for stereotypes. We are all unique and pull together for a common purpose.