Reporting to our Technical Director, the role spans a range of technical and data work. You will be responsible for supporting our online analysis systems (E.g., analysis.littlewandlelettersandsounds.org.uk, www.sstracker.co.uk, www.eyfstracker.com), our backend databases (Including the Mime DataHub, our central data warehouse), and our analysis products(For example, the Super School Profile). Responsibilities include:
1. Database work
- Developing new database schemas, plus setting up and configuring databases and other persistent storage for new systems
- Using SQL and other tools to control ETL/ELT processes:
- preparing and uploading data for the databases that power our websites
- importing, extracting and manipulating data into and out of the Mime DataHub to drive our dashboard reports
- querying data for use in our analysis products and our predictive models
- Making structural changes to the databases that underpin our analysis websites, for example when new features are being built, tested, and implemented
- Automating data extraction and load processes, including using APIs to facilitate data transfer
2. Support for our analysis products and systems
- Building dashboard reports using Tableau, PowerBI and SQL Server Reporting Studio, including devising and implementing appropriate data structures, and supporting other team members to do the same
- Assisting with Site Reliability Engineering to ensure our websites are robust and scale efficiently
- Building tools to improve the user experience and reduce errors on our websites and systems
- Performing root cause analysis of production errors, plus troubleshooting and resolving technical issues
- Being responsible for the smooth running, configuration, upgrading and management of our Tableau Server deployment
3. Other coding responsibilities
Depending on your coding experience you may be involved in:
- Automating processes to help speed up routine tasks that our analyst team carry out (for example using VBA or Power Automate/Power Query)
- Maintenance and upgrade of data connections, for example automated data transfer from school systems to our own analysis systems
- Developing and maintaining our client login system to securely share analysis via the Mime website and promote our other services
- Scraping web data to help us create new and insightful datasets
- Implementing new features on our web systems, working with our Technical Director and web developers
- Helping enforce good quality coding standards across the team, including version control, commenting etc
- Training and mentoring junior analysts, for example via code reviews
4. Additional duties appropriate to the level and role
What we’re looking for
We value talent and drive. We’re looking for a smart, motivated applicant with the following skills and qualities:
- Excellent understanding of database design, including data structures appropriate for different use cases, for example powering front end applications and analysis,
- Highly proficient with SQL (can be via PostgreSQL, MySQL or SQL Server)
- Experience of ETL/ELT scripting to move data from source systems/files into a data warehouse or other systems
Experience of some of the following would also be advantageous:
- System deployment tools used in coding, such as Docker, GitHub, etc
- Process automation, for example through VBA or Power Apps
- Microsoft Excel, and/or BI tools such as Tableau or PowerBI
- Web languages, and other frontend tools such as SvelteKit, Vue, etc
- Cloud services, via AWS, GCP or Azure
- Database optimisation, for example debugging performance issues or improving query speeds, and database maintenance and administration
- DevOps or similar software engineering responsibilities
- Supporting team members in their professional development
Who are we and why join us?
Mime is an innovative, award-winning consultancy that uses data and technology to help organisations make better decisions to improve life chances. Formed in 2007, we’ve established a great reputation bringing specialist expertise to our clients, and we are continually growing our range of services and our team. Primarily working with local authorities, schools, charities and other not-for-profit organisations, we offer a range of services including data analysis, visualisations, dashboard design, system development and report writing. Key to our work is our creative ability to make complicated information accessible to a range of audiences – making information matter.
Joining our small, friendly and supportive team, you will have genuine responsibility from an early stage, with structured training. As a small, progressively minded business, we truly value the contribution of our team members, welcoming the opinions and ideas of everyone. Working for us offers a unique opportunity to support an innovative, entrepreneurial business doing work that makes a real difference to people’s lives.
This role will be predominantly based in our office near London Bridge, right by the Thames and the Tate Modern. We are happy to discuss flexible working arrangements.
- Salary £40k to £55k p.a. depending on experience
- 25 days annual leave + bank holidays (you can also buy or sell up to 5 days per year)
- Contributory pension
- Healthcare (after 1 years’ service)
- Team social events
- Paid volunteering day (annually)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounts in local businesses (such as gym membership)
To apply, please send your CV. A covering letter outlining your motivations for working with us is not essential, but would be warmly received.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and we welcome applications from everyone regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, faith or disability. If you have particular accessibility needs, please get in touch and let us know any requirements you may have.
Please note, we will give priority to applicants who already have the right to live and work in the UK without sponsorship.