*this role is open to remote working within the UK. Successful candidates will be required to travel to their closest UNiDAYS campus (London or Nottingham) on occasion.
The role in a nutshell
A Front End Engineer in UNiDAYS is a hands-on software development role focused on building innovative front ends to delight our members. These may be across our portfolio in our marketplace products, identity products, or elsewhere as the business grows.
You will be working closely alongside the rest of our product and engineering teams, defining, refining, building and measuring the impact of the solutions you implement.
We are at the start of an exciting journey to modernise our front end stack, moving away from legacy .NET solutions into Next.JS-you will be a significant part of this journey, building member-focused front ends with consideration for testability, accessibility, performance, reliability, scalability, security etc.
Day to day responsibilities
- Working in a cross-functional product team to build end-to-end solutions. This will involve taking part in refinement sessions, planning sessions, as well as collaborating with other team members in addition to designing/writing/debugging/testing code
- Representing front end concerns within the team
- Representing front end across the engineering team in general
- Collaborating with external stakeholders and peers
- Owning the member experience and ensuring this is optimal across all segments of our member base. This will include being a vocal champion for accessibility etc.
What we need from you
- Passionate about member experience and creating meaningful experiences for our users
- Strong front end experience with React and React Frameworks (specifically Next.js)
- Experience building and testing cross-browser code
- Experience of working in a cross-functional team and representing front end concerns
- A strong awareness of how to code with consideration of accessibility concerns
- A good understanding of microservices, API design (from a client perspective) and REST principles
- Good knowledge of relevant automated testing technologies and practices
- Semantic HTML/CSS
- Strong understanding of agile methodologies such as scrum, kanban etc.
- Use of GIT and related tools
- Strong problem solving skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
Nice to Have
- Awareness of AWS technologies
- Awareness/ability to read C#
- Awareness of OpenId/OAuth
We've accomplished a lot since we started in 2011, but in many ways, this is just the beginning. This is the chance for you to get in on ground zero. An opportunity to make a difference within the business with global reach. We are the world’s largest Student Affinity Network, with over 22 million verified members in 115 markets including the US, UK, Germany, India, Canada and Australia. We work with 800 of the world’s biggest brands globally, taking their products and services into the hearts and minds of tomorrow’s professionals, delivering engagement, building affinity and sales. You’ll also be working for a Great Place to Work CertifiedTM company who have been recognised on the UK’s Best WorkplacesTM for Wellbeing and UK's Best Workplaces for Women 2022 list. To find out more about our workplace initiatives, see our UK exclusive case study with Great Place to Work and be sure to visit our profile for more information.
We offer a fast paced, fun & social working environment where you can truly make an impact. We believe that work should enhance and complement your life which is why we leave it up to you to decide where you work. You can choose to work from your assigned campus (either Nottingham or London) or from home, whatever works best for your individual needs. Your manager may request you attend team meet ups at your campus but other than that it is up to you! We work hard at UNiDAYS, but we also believe in fair compensation for hard work. That's why we're pleased to offer all employees full access to our comprehensive benefits package.
Our perks include:
- 25 days holiday per year increasing with length of service, plus flexible bank holidays
- Competitive salaries
- 4pm finishes every Friday
- Company bonus scheme
- Company pension scheme
- Private health insurance (Vitality)
- Income protection policy
- Life assurance policy
- Employee Assistance Program
- Enhanced parental leave pay
- Core hours with flexibility around how/when you manage your time
- Regular team building activities
- The latest tech and hardware will be supplied from day one
- Good Vibes Program: we know we’ve all had to adapt to new ways of working and UNiDAYS has always taken pride in the community we’ve created in the office but we’re just as committed to creating an innovative approach to fostering connections and improving engagement outside of the office! We want to boost your remote working experience so think virtual parties, pottery classes, wellness classes and guest speakers just to name a few!
- Support for home working for all new team members. We will help assess your home set up and you can expense £150 towards any additional furniture you may need to be safe and comfortable when working from home
About our Product & Engineering team
The driving force behind this fantastic tech business are the talented Product and Engineering team, who work collaboratively to ensure that UNiDAYS stays one step ahead of the competition, with the ultimate goal of giving students the power to make every experience more valuable and rewarding.
The Product and Engineering teams at UNiDAYS are comprised of a bunch of passionate people who work in a fun, fast paced and social environment. Everyone is equal and encouraged to work with each other, whilst having the autonomy to solve problems in the best way they see fit.
The UNiDAYS tech team are passionate about the local Tech Community, hosting and sponsoring local meet ups and hack events. Career development is an important facet of the UNiDAYS tech experience.
Listen to the episode on The Diverse Podcast here: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/47-how-to-build-your-dream-career-in-tech/id1515585546?i=1000587931714
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.