We are looking for an enthusiastic Consultant Ornithologist who shares our passion for the environment and renewable energy, to join our team.
MacArthur Green aims to only work with clients to deliver a positive impact for our environment and we need the right people in our team to achieve this. We are delivering a positive impact through our three core business objectives: (1) we help projects with important environmental benefits succeed; (2) we support ecological research projects important to sustainable development, and (3) we work hard to operate a carbon negative and biodiversity positive business.
We specialise in ornithology, ecology, and peat services, primarily focussing on supporting renewable energy, natural capital, and grid networks. We work for some of the most successful renewable developers operating in the UK, such as Vattenfall, ScottishPower Renewables, Scottish and Southern Energy Renewables, EDF, BayWa, and RES UK & Ireland, with projects onshore as well as offshore. We are also privileged to support statutory bodies such as The Crown Estate, the Scottish Government, NatureScot, Natural England and the UK Government.
If you have experience as an ornithologist and MacArthur Green sounds like somewhere you would enjoy working, read on!
The overall purpose of your role will be to collaborate with our team to successfully deliver projects that have important environmental benefits – such as renewables, natural capital, and grid projects. This will include:
- Responsibility for assisting project management, coordination and delivery of onshore ornithology projects.
- Contribution to the preparation of ornithology EIA chapters, Habitats Regulations Appraisals, and technical reports.
- Input into habitat management plans and biodiversity net gain opportunities.
- Assisting with preparing tender submissions.
- Assisting with planning and managing the delivery of various types of ornithology surveys.
- Contributing to projects undertaken by the ecology and offshore ornithology teams where necessary.
- Consultation with stakeholders such as NatureScot and RSPB.
- Occasional assistance with ornithology field surveys, such as flight activity, breeding bird, raptor and black grouse surveys.
- An interest in developing a good understanding of the environmental planning system in relation to the production of ornithological impact assessments.
- Ornithology field survey experience.
- A flexible and proactive approach to work.
- Experience of managing a diverse workload/managing your own time based on external timescales.
- Educated to higher degree level in ecology, environmental or related subject, or able to demonstrate an equivalent level of experience.
- Strong IT skill including Word and Excel.
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills.
- Valid UK Driving Licence.
Salary will be dependent on experience. Other benefits include Bonus Scheme and Pension Scheme.
The role will be primarily based in our office in the west end of Glasgow, right on the banks of the River Kelvin. However, we are happy to allow a flexible approach to working depending on individual needs.
MacArthur Green is an equal opportunities and Disability Confident committed employer. We will offer a guaranteed interview to disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.