Supermassive Games have produced some of the most recognisable and compelling storytelling titles in the world of AAA games. The BAFTA-winning Until Dawn, the cinematic masterclass of The Dark Pictures Anthology, the multi-award winning The Quarry, the action-packed rollercoaster horror VR titles Switchback VR and Rush of Blood to the world of Little Nightmares, and many more!
Time and time again, our incredibly talented and passionate team have delivered games that strike fear into all that dare to play. And we have no plans to stop there! Alongside growing the Dark Pictures universe in new and exciting ways, we have several unannounced, and suitably thrilling, projects!
And so, as we move into new genres and grow our studio, our hunt for talent continues!
Join the Supermassive Games team and create your own story.
We are looking for a Senior Camera Artist to join us here at Supermassive Games.
In this role you’ll be:
The primary role of this position is to take ownership of the camera work for scenes in one of our cinematic games. You’ll help ensure the scene meets the cinematography and art direction requirements of the game, pushing the quality as high as possible within technical and production constraints.
This is a permanent position on site, we will also consider remote fixed term options too.
- At least 4 years of experience as a camera operator / creator, cinematographer, or editor in either real world or digital productions.
- In-depth understanding and practical experience of cinematography and the ability to ‘read’ a film and understand the psychology of camera work.
- A natural talent with framing and composition.
- An understanding of physical cameras and lenses.
- Technically minded and able to problem solve.
- A strong portfolio of work which demonstrates your ability.
- Editing experience preferable
The main responsibilities will be:
The main and routine tasks of this position are:
- Supporting and mentoring junior artists and working alongside the direction team to achieve the creative vision for the game to another version
- Creating / editing cameras for motion-captured game cinematics to effectively build a scene, tell a story, add visual flair and high production values.
- Help to drive narrative story-telling through effective use of framing, lens choice and edit. Using camera to help convey emotional experiences.
- Working with the art director / game director to achieve the desired look and style.
- Working closely with the wider art team to improve workflows and processes.
- Collaborating with other disciplines such as lighting and VFX artists, graphics programmers and level designers to create great AAA game experiences.
Experience and skills that would best suit this position:
- A solid understanding of cameras and comfort in choosing focal length, aperture, focus etc.
- A working knowledge of cinematography and the language of film.
- Good understanding of the theory and application of Composition and blocking.
- The ability to build out a scene from mocap data with selection of shots and cuts.
- A comfort with editing, and understanding of its use in emotional storytelling.
- Experience with a real time engine such as Unreal Engine, or similar (UNITY, CryEngine, Frostbite, etc.) is essential
The Perks of being a Supermassive Superstar are:
- 25 Days Annual Leave (3 of which are used when we close the studio for our end of year break)
- Private Medical Insurance (BUPA)
- Life Assurance (6 x annual salary)
- Quarterly Profit related Bonus
- Pension Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Income Protection
- Enhanced Family Leave (maternity and paternity pay)
- Generous staff referral scheme
- Discount Card for food and drink at our local pub