We’re here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque.
We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We're focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people's lives through Monzo.
About our Product Design Team:
Read through our blog to get an insight into the team and how it works. Our director, Vuokko has given a number of talks about Monzo which you can find here:https://monzo.com/design/
What you’ll be working on:
- Core banking features for Monzo's iPhone and Android apps. Increasing visibility and control of money across multiple accounts: we want Monzo to be the financial hub of your life, and something this ambitious requires a lot of good design.
- You’ll lead design for a product area. This includes driving the future vision of this area, making sure it compliments a cohesive overall Monzo experience, and delivering on incremental steps to help the team head in this direction.
- You’ll be embedded in a cross-functional product squad. You’ll be responsible for all design artefacts produced; from initial discovery and user journey mapping through to the execution of final UI design details.
- You’ll deeply understand the customers you’re designing for. Whether it’s joining user research sessions, learning from previous insights, reading data reports or running your own lightweight research and analysis, you’ll strive to understand the what, why and how of the problems you’re solving for to ensure we don’t just ship the thing right, but we ship the right thing.
- You’ll collaborate regularly using strong communication, documentation and facilitation skills. You’ll work closely with PMs, Engineers, Data scientists, User researchers and writers to make sure your team isn’t just shipping great designs, but they are deeply involved throughout the design process.
- You’ll execute (and advocate for) polished, intuitive and accessible user experiences. You’re pragmatic and able to balance the ideal experience with knowing where and when to make scoping trade-offs based on technical constraints, experimentation strategy or business risk.
- You’ll help raise the bar for design at Monzo. We’re a small but mighty team where every designer plays a critical role in improving our community of practice—whether that’s through improving our craft skills to leading rituals to giving great feedback.
- You’ll regularly work with a design director and product leadership. This is to help make sure long-term strategy, business goals and experience quality are all in alignment and that there are healthy opportunities for visibility and feedback.
You should apply if:
- You’ve led the design of world-class product launches in a fast-growing company before.
- You understand that good design is not about trends but is built on top of principles and tradeoffs. You make well-reasoned design decisions always advocating for the best possible user experience.
- You’re passionate about inclusive design and accessibility, and you’ll design with all our users in mind.
- You care about the UI design details but are also comfortable zooming out, seeing the broader picture and connecting the dots to create a cohesive overall experience.
- You’re familiar with native mobile design patterns on Android and iOS and have designed polished apps for both platforms
- You’re passionate about sharing your knowledge, and raising the bar for design practice at Monzo. Previous experience mentoring designers is a big plus.
- You understand that writing is designing, you're a confident writer, and the copy in your screens is never an afterthought.
The Interview Process:
Our interview process involves 3 main stages:
- Initial call (30 minutes). A video chat with Natalie who is part of our hiring team. This focuses on general suitability and fit for Monzo.
- Portfolio Walk-through (45 minutes+). We'll ask you to prepare a couple of projects which demonstrates your end-to-end design process and deliverables. You will go through this with our Design Director Or Principal Designer and another designer in the team where they will ask follow up questions, digging deeper into your process and work.
- Final round (3 hours). This involves three interviews covering craft, impact and teamwork. These typically happen on the same day via three separate video calls. The portfolio submitted is used as a reference for these interviews to help set context for us, and save you time repeating yourself.
Our average process takes around 2-3 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s in it for you:
💰 £75,000-£90,000 base salary➕ plus stock options
✈️ We can help you relocate to the UK
✅ We can sponsor visas.
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefits here
If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our 2022 diversity and inclusion report
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.