Company: Honest Mobile
Job: Android Developer
Start Date: The sooner the better
We’ve just closed our Seed round and we’re building our engineering from scratch.
👋 About Honest
The mobile phone industry is broken. It’s spent the last couple of decades tying you into complicated contracts, overcharging you for being a loyal customer and keeping you on hold.
The crumbling high street banks have been swept aside by Monzo and Revolut. Yet mobile networks are still stuck in the dark ages using outdated technology, making you wait on hold and overcharging customers millions every year.
We're building a better mobile network, where you know you're on the best plan, your loyalty is rewarded and your conscience is clear. One that’s better for people and the planet.
🦸♂️ The Role
We’re looking for an Android Developer to lead the development of our native app in Kotlin and Jetpack Compose for our Android oriented customers.
You'll be pragmatic, have a great product-mindset, keeping users at the heart of how you think, and have a passion for great UI and UX. You already have past experience of building beautiful and scaleable Apps and are excited about bringing a new App into the world using the latest and greatest frameworks and techniques.
We’ve grown rapidly over the last twenty four months and we’ve built a best-in-class product and mobile experience, both for our customers our team; and we’re now ready to supercharge our growth.
As our first Android Developer, this is a unique opportunity for you to build a new App from scratch using the latest and greatest Android features and frameworks, and immediately launch it to our growing base of thousands of customers. There’s still so much to do and learn, in every aspect of Honest Mobile — we’re only just beginning our journey!
What you’ll be doing day to day:
- Collaborating with the other developers to scope out features and user experience journeys, and to build them in 100% full fat native Kotlin code.
- Work within our coding sprints to bring those features to life and deploy them fast for real world users and to gather feedback in order to continually improve.
- Sharing your passion for best in class mobile App design and best practice and continually polishing your craft by keeping up-to-date with the latest frameworks and tools.
- Collaborating with other engineers and designers to build our design system and component library for scale
- Improving the performance and accessibility of our apps
🛠 Engineering at Honest Mobile
We have native apps on Android and iOS which are packaged up progressive web apps. These already have more functionality and better feedback than the competition.
Now we’re ready to take things to the next level which means rebuilding what we have on our own tech stack, and building fully native Apps that feel right at home on our customers phones.
We’re using Typescript on Node.JS, Temporal, Kubernetes and other high availability and built-to-scale technologies to run the backend API on the Google Cloud.
We usually prefer paying for tools or services as opposed to building them ourselves. If we can put money towards a problem that would otherwise take a lot of our time whilst still creating the user experience we desire then we’ll do that. We try to keep our investments in a few tools/services rather than having many ways to solve the same problems, and are conscious of the number of innovation tokens we spend.
You should apply if
- You’re excited about what we’re doing! We’re a technology company working in a very traditional industry and that gives us a huge opportunity to build something truly different.
- Starting from scratch and making the right decisions early on to set us up for growth doesn’t sound scary.
- We’re still a small team, so you’ll be involved in everything and are excited to learn about all aspects of our stack, our product and our existing team
- You care about the users we are creating products for, are happy to speak to them directly, and love turning designs into beautiful products.
- You are comfortable in the face of ambiguity and are happy to take on problems without a clear definition or solution.
- You are comfortable putting something out there when it’s not-perfectly-polished to gather feedback, whether that’s an MVP of a feature, a draft of a proposal, or your thoughts on a design.
- You care about the team and culture we are building, and understand the importance of giving feedback and supporting others around you.
- 🏝️ 34 days holiday (including bank holidays and your birthday off every year)
- 📈 Ownership in Honest Mobile through our EMI option scheme
- 🧘 Flexible hybrid working: work remotely and in the office
- 📱 An Honest SIM and phone, and all the kit you need to do your best work
- 🙋 1 paid volunteering day each year
- 👶 Generous parental leave for all new parents
Logistics (the same for everyone at Honest) 👍
- Flexible working: work remotely or in the office, whatever works best for you
- During onboarding, we’ll expect you to be in the office on a regular basis to help get you up to speed
- We all try to be in the office two days a week to collaborate in person
- Our office is at Kennington Park, London
- We'll provide you with all the tools and technology you need to do your best work
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Honest Mobile, embracing diversity in all of its forms and foster an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of changing mobile for good.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
How to apply
Please apply here and tell us why you’re excited about the role. If you don’t include this, your application won’t be reviewed. ✌️
We’ll assess your application like this:
- The team will review your application.
- If we think you could be a great fit we’ll invite you to a short initial interview over Zoom.
- If we both like how our first conversation goes, we’ll ask you to meet some more of the team including our engineering lead
- The final stage of the process will be an interview with the co-founders.