Located in either Scoresby Street, Southwark, The British Library, King’s Cross or Charlotte Road, Shoreditch, we are looking for full and part-time baristas to join an exceptional team of baristas who pride themselves on delivering outstanding quality without compromise. As one of many customer-facing roles for Origin, the focus is to serve our coffee with an ultimate level of confidence, an extension of our excellence and part of the Origin team continuing to drive standards.
People come first, and this role is as much about face-to-face communication and relationships as it is barista skills. Passion comes from your expertise in speciality coffee and love of customer service. Depending on the day of the week or time of day, you will be working with your talented colleagues or holding the fort. Being behind the bar is your forte, and a sense of pride in yourself, your workplace and Origin makes anyone’s interaction with you an experience and part of our ambition to build customer loyalty.
We have a rigorous career pathway, so you will be expected to demonstrate your skill level. We will work with you and take you on your career journey, developing and investing in you. We love continuous improvement and anyone who works for us we discuss what this looks like for you.
IN YOUR APPLICATION, PLEASE SPECIFY FULL OR PART-TIME AND WHICH LOCATION WOULD BE YOUR PREFERENCE.
Integral to the success of our award-winning and renowned London coffee shops, you will:deliver an informed, passionate, and enthusiastic approach to communicating speciality coffee to all customers make recommendations based on customer preferences prioritise and deliver exceptional customer service understand the day-to-day operation and upkeep of all coffee machinery, including the ability to dial in; you will be working with La Marzocco espresso machines contribute towards the recipe creation for single origin coffees; espresso, pour over and batch filter develop and maintain excellent latte art skills demonstrate outstanding filter knowledge and a range of brew techniques supported by an eye for detail, we want to see meticulous quality control have a high level of cleanliness throughout service in all areas of the café, including the cleaning down of machines, working areas and public spaces responsible for stock supply including the communication of re-ordering supplies opening and closing duties for the café represent the brand as an Origin ambassador; we’re industry leaders and you’re responsible for showing our customers what that looks like
To be successful in this role, these are the things that matter the most:
- a daily can-do attitude whilst remaining calm and collected
- a love for communication and building relationships – you are customer facing and an Origin ambassador and every interaction counts
- careful and diligent – even meticulous – with a good dose of common sense
- modestly confident and personable, good humoured and trustworthy
- happy working independently as well as working as part of the wider retail team
- informal but 100% professional
Skills and experience:
- demonstrable experience of working in the specialty coffee industry
- demonstrable experience of delivering outstanding customer service
- a strong verbal communication style
- demonstrable experience of working independently and as part of a team led by core values and business objectives
Essential behavioural competencies:
- extensive specialty coffee knowledge including all brewing techniques
- an acute eye with meticulous attention to detail with an ability to identify anomalies and mistakes
- the ability to inspire and lead a team
- an ability to recognise the opportunity to upsell, increase revenue and improve customer service
- exceptional customer facing skills
- highly organised and efficient whilst working under pressure
- 34 days holiday (pro rata for part-time), including accrued bank holidays and your birthday off
- Sabbatical and remote working options
- Financial Support and Wellbeing
- Time off for volunteering
- Mental Health and Physical First Aid Training
- Enhanced Maternity, Paternity, Adoption and Transitioning at Work Leave and Pay
- Employee Assistant Programme - a comprehensive suite of support from an (EAP) including help with physical, mental, and financial wellness at work
- Continued Professional Development specific to your role
- Full SCA Training and Q grader training (role specific)
- Employee Referral Scheme of £200
- Cycle to work scheme
- Combined employer and employee pension contribution of 8%
- Endless free coffee at work and weekly take home
- Discounts in all our cafés and on our merchandise and partners
- Regular social and team events serving exceptional food & drink.