Chess.com is one of the largest gaming sites in the world and the clear #1 platform for playing, learning, and enjoying chess.
We are a team of 600+ fully remote people in 70+ countries working hard to serve the global chess community. We are also growing fast, with more than 100 million players having chosen Chess.com as their online chess home, and a large base of happy premium subscribers.
We are a tech company. A gaming company. A content company. And we do it all with passion and commitment to the game. Above all we prize our mission-driven, flat, life-celebrating, no-corporate culture, and we look forward to meeting you and learning more about what you can bring to the team.
You are a product-minded multidisciplinary engineer who excels at working closely with Product Managers, Designers, and Frontend Developers at every stage of the product development cycle.
You are able to cut through complexity while offering simplified solutions that maximize output and future-proofing.
Your holistic understanding of the software development lifecycle and in-depth experience delivering high quality and high performance software at scale. You are able to identify root causes and deliver solutions that scale beyond the sum of their parts.
You are humble with a sense of humor and don’t take yourself too seriously. You have been working in or dreamed of working in the gaming industry and are ready to turn your talents towards chess!
What you’ll do
- Live into our values of kindness and excellence
- Work with a multidisciplinary team to design and build the best possible chess experience using the most relevant software engineering principles
- Build and optimize backend systems, scaling for a global top 200 website
- Contribute to technology, architecture, workﬂow, and design decisions
- Contribute to the backend development team knowledge-base, and mentor junior developers
- Multidisciplinary - familiar with many application stacks
- Concise communicator
- Complexity simplifier
- 5+ years PHP experience (Symfony preferred)
- Experience with MySQL, Git, Redis, PHPUnit/PHPSpec, Docker
- Excellent understanding of software design and architectural patterns
- Experience with SQL schema design and query optimization
- Experience with command line and Unix systems handy
- Experience working with a fully distributed team
- Sense of ownership and responsibility
- Chess player
- Lifelong learner
About the Opportunity
- This is a full-time or equivalent position
- We are 100% remote (work from anywhere!)
You can learn more about us here:
We look forward to meeting you!