📍London or Remote (UK) | 💰 Base salary depending on experience + stock options + Benefits
Engineering at Monzo:
We’re looking for an Engineering Director to join our Financial Crime (FinCrime) team and help us build one of the best, most innovative banks in the world.
FinCrime is the area of Monzo that keeps our customer’s money safe. They use advanced technologies and machine learning (ML) to build tools which prevent fraud, risk, money laundering, and other criminal activities on our app. As we continue to scale, this is a business critical area where you will have the opportunity to innovate using ML and work with key business stakeholders to reduce fraud losses. It’s also a key part of Monzo that enables financial inclusion - by being smart and clever to stop criminals, there is less disadvantage and disenfranchising of legitimate customers.
As an Engineering Director you’ll lead a multi-disciplinary team to set big, ambitious goals for an entire product area, and have the freedom to decide how to meet them. You’ll operate with autonomy and have a massive impact on our customers’ lives and Monzo’s success.
At Monzo, our mission is to make money work for everyone: to make our customers effortlessly financially savvy with smart features, unexpectedly friendly service, and a relentless focus on what people genuinely want and need from a bank. Our net promoter score is more than 2x that of other banks, and we are the fastest-growing bank in the UK. Monzo better resembles a fast-paced tech startup than a traditional bank – we move fast, ship new things every day, and develop products iteratively. But we are also very serious about the safety of our customers’ money and their trust in us, and we believe this starts with our internal culture. We default to transparency both internally and externally, and we involve our community in everything we do. We prize a diverse team as a strength: everyone is welcome at Monzo and we're working hard to empower them to do the best work of their lives.
At Monzo the effective application of technology is a significant competitive advantage. We strongly believe in autonomous multi-disciplinary teams, organising smart people from different backgrounds around problems and empowering our business areas with technical capabilities to achieve outcomes for our customers that others can't.
What you’ll work on:
- Lead a cross-functional team of 40+ Engineers, including EMs and Senior EMs.
- You’ll be building cutting edge machine learning tools to keep our customers money safe, and prevent criminal activity on our app.
- Collaborate with and influence key stakeholders across the organisation, including the wider product teams, company leadership, finance, marketing, compliance, legal, regulatory affairs and more to get alignment and support for the strategy
- Manage regulatory and governance requirements, balance work to create long-term growth, and work to reduce fraud costs.
You should apply if:
- You have experience leading Engineering orgs between 30-50 individuals (including experience managing a number of Engineering Managers and Senior Engineering Managers).
- You’ve got a track record of over five years of shipping successful, customer-centric digital products in a consumer tech company.
- You have the ability to communicate clearly and persuasively to a wide range of audiences, and in a structured way.
- You can systematically break down and then solve complex problems (for customers and the business), using novel solutions. As we move out of programme and into trying to be world-class at fincrime, our ability to find novel/clever/smart solutions that will best meet our aim of tackling the criminals whilst ensuring more and more customers are included where they otherwise wouldn't be.
- You have experience coaching and developing teams to be effective in creatively solving complex problems.
- You’re comfortable using data to ground your thinking in analysis, can identify key metrics and their drivers and evaluate the success of your work.
- You make good decisions in complex situations where there’s often no “right answer”.
- You can strategically decide between ‘build vs buy’ - there are many times when our teams have to decide whether to build or buy - where buy is quicker, but build is better long-term. Your role will play a key part in these decisions.
- You can work effectively with a diverse range of people and working styles to get stuff done, and are able to thoughtfully and constructively challenge and influence the people you work with
- You hone in on the highest leverage thing to work on, both for the product and your own time
- You’re able to quickly build trust and enable your team’s to be high performing.
Nice to have:
- Experience with FinCrime areas e.g. fraud, risk, transaction monitoring, customer risk assessment.
- Experience with ML/AI focused tooling.
The interview process:
Our interview process involves 3 main stages:
- A 30 min intro with a member of our recruitment team.
- A 1 hour call with someone from our senior engineering leadership team. We’ll ask you questions about your current and previous roles, as well as what a high performing team looks like for you, and how you’ve helped create them in the past.
- A Loop - this is one stage with 5 interviews (totalling 4 hours) split between a collaboration with one of our engineers on a technical exercise, as well as management and leadership interviews.
- We may follow up with a final stage interview, to discuss any feedback before making a final decision.
At all stages we’ll create space for you to ask as many questions as you have, you’re interviewing us as well!
Our average process takes around 3-4 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on email@example.com.
What’s in it for you:
💰Base salary depending on experience + equity + stock options & benefits
✈️ We can help you relocate to the UK
✅ We can sponsor visas
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefits here
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2022 Diversity and Inclusion Reportand 2022 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.