Much Better Adventures are a global, purpose driven and multi award-winning curated marketplace for adventure. We’re in scale up mode (roughly between Series A & B stage) and now looking to bring in a senior CPO on a part-time/fractional basis for the next c.12 months as we grow the product team.
Reporting to the CEO and collaborating closely with CTO, we'll want them to lead the (remote) product team through expansion (currently 2 x engineers (full stack), 1 x tech lead/engineering manager, 1 x product designer, 1 x product manager) until such time as we need to replace them with a full-time CPO.
This is a remote role with the product team spread across UK, France and Italy. Weekly time-commitment required to fulfill the role can be discussed and agreed together. We roughly anticipate it may be in the region of 2 days/week.
Strategy and vision
- Lead a review and refinement of product vision, strategy and roadmap to align closely with company's overall business goals.
Lead product team
- Product methodology review and implementation - defining processes, roles and responsibilities to ensure strong alignment across product team, and a rhythm of rapid execution of impactful product development
- Ensure that the product execution aligns with the broader strategic direction.
- Act as mentor and coach to the PM and PD to support their ongoing personal development and growth.
Oversee team expansion
- We currently plan to expand the engineering team before the end of 2023 to set up two cross-functional squads. We would however like you to lead on organisational structure design. Alongside the CTO, define the resource requirements and roadmap for future team expansion required to deliver the product strategy, and oversee successful integration of new team members.
- Ultimately - support the senior leadership team to identify and onboard your long-term successor, whether they come either from inside the company, or externally.
- Proven track record as product leader in relevant consumer facing e-commerce and marketplace businesses, in particular at similar size/stage companies with hi-growth potential.
- A flair for team leadership, communication, influencing and creating alignment - you know how to get a small team performing at a high level, remotely.
- Deep understanding and practical/hands-on experience of successfully implementing appropriate agile principles - you know how to be flexible and adapt them to fit individual team circumstances, and can build alignment around them.
- Experienced in developing and structuring high-level roadmaps and strategic vision, and shaping a team to execute against it.
- Experienced in working with OKRs.
- Share our values and purpose
We're on a mission to inspire people to live a more adventure-rich life, help a global community of local businesses to make a great living doing what they love, and protect the world's wild places, one adventure at a time.
Our multi-award-winning adventures are continually rated 5* by our tribe of loyal customers, we’re backed by some of Europe’s leading investors and entrepreneurs, and are part-community owned. We recently won ‘Best for Experiences 2022’ at the Travolution Awards, and are proud to be B-Corp Certified.
So if you get a kick out of supporting independent businesses around the world, and are in your element trekking, cycling, climbing mountains, kayaking or something equally exciting, you are in the right place.
We're building a team of super-talented, passionate and ambitious people.
- Likely a contract/freelance role but terms to be discussed on one-one basis
- Flexible hours and remote working (within +2/-2 GMT) (If you see 'London' this is just where we are registered, but not where we are based)
- The chance to join our trips and call it work
- Friends and family discount for MBA trips
- An entrepreneurial and creative environment
- The warm fuzzy feeling that comes with knowing you are making a huge difference to small independent businesses, local economies and communities
Closing date: when we find the right person!