This is an opportunity to join Europe’s leading Tech for Good, a unique company combining a high growth tech startup culture with making life-changing impact.
As an Operations Lead, you're supporting our brilliant team of caseworkers (known as Operation Executives) and the amazing people referred to Beam (known as Members) on their remarkable journey out of homelessness and into stable work.
Please note this role is hybrid, with min 2 days per week in our beautiful offices in Shoreditch, London.
What matters to us
- People: We want to work with ambitious, friendly and empathetic individuals who excel at building strong, respectful working relationships.
- Making an impact: We set and pursue challenging targets in a fast-paced startup environment that puts huge value on idea generation and transparency.
- Growth mindset: A hunger to learn in a startup founded by someone that’s scaled a business to millions of users, and backed by the world’s best investors.
- Passion for tech: We love getting a little nerdy with the latest tools and apps and working in a lean and data-driven way.
1) Team management
- Supporting Operations Executives to:
- Help people start jobs in a way that balances working empathetically with being solution-focused and outcomes-driven
- Manage safety and risk issues, including safely risk assessing all our members looking for work
- Manage a large caseload of people using Beam with confidence and clear boundary-setting
- Working directly and supporting Beamers to rapidly innovate our operational model
- Interviewing prospective Operations Executives and training and onboarding new starters
- Inspiring the Operations Executive team and ensuring they are aligned on the team’s objectives for each quarter/year
- Managing and facilitating weekly operations meetings, bringing any pain points/troubleshooting/improvements
- Account managing employers who hire from our talent pool - including building strong relationships and iterating processes
2) People Management
- Supporting individuals to do their jobs effectively and efficiently. This can include:
- Mentoring or coaching
- Supporting people’s wellbeing in an emotionally challenging role
- Develop people’s strengths and performance management
- Run ‘transparency sessions’ with individuals and ensure there is a feedback loop
- Support Beamers with their future development and career progression
- Mapping out strategies and targets on a quarterly basis for the Operations Executive team
- Generating ideas and processes that iterate our operational model to ever-increasing scale
- Feed in on the development of our products and testing prototypes
- Data analysis and reporting
4) Operational day to day
- As part of getting to know what we do, you will be expected to support a few members who use the Beam service
- 3-6 years high-quality operational experience, ideally in a high-growth start-up or social enterprise
- Management experience
- Entrepreneurial, get things done attitude, you’ll thrive under pressure and in fast-paced environments
- Passion for innovation and social impact
- Great multi-tasker and highly detail-orientated and risk-aware
- Highly adaptable and excited to work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Effective communicator, active listener, and the ability to prioritise and delegate tasks
- Committed to promoting equality of opportunity in London - and far beyond
Nice to haves
- Experience working with vulnerable individuals (don't worry, everyone who joins is enrolled on a thorough training programme!)
- Advanced Excel or SQL
- Strong relationships with senior HR contacts at companies who may hire from Beam
We’re a team of over 90 working from our beautiful coworking space in Shoreditch and from home. We’ve picked up an armful of awards for our work (including one from our former Queen!) We’re one of the 10 hottest startups in London, according to WIRED magazine and one of LinkedIn’s Top 15 UK Startups for 2022. We’re also proud to be rated a top company to work for Escape the City, Tempo and The Dots.
We’re committed to hiring diversely and inclusively. You don’t need a degree to work here and we love to hear from ethnic minority candidates and/or those who’ve experienced social disadvantage. 63% of people we support are from ethnic minority backgrounds and 17% have disabilities. We believe we serve these people best when we’re a diverse and inclusive team.
Compensation & Perks
- Highly competitive startup salary of £45-60k - we're open to hearing from a broad range of experiences
- EMI-qualifying share options
- Monthly counselling budget
- Annual company retreat
- New laptop – choose between a MacBook Air or PC
- £500 personal development budget
- 1:1 workplace coaching with More Happi
- Regular team talks from leading UK tech entrepreneurs
- Free subscription to Calm meditation app
- Discounted bike and accessories with Cyclescheme
- Discounted tech products with Techscheme
- Unlimited holiday (we recommend ~25 days + Bank Holidays per year)
- Your own financial well-being coach, through Bippit
We have a four-stage interview process, giving you plenty of time to learn about Beam while we get to know you.
- 30-minute video call with our Talent Manager
- Timed practical test, giving you a better sense of the role
- People-related scenarios
- 3 final interviews with people at Beam
Applications for the role are considered on a rolling basis and there is no fixed start date.