Do you have the skills to help us communicate the value of the natural environment for everyone's wellbeing and prosperity? Can you engage more people in our activities and our mission?
We are looking for a Communications and Engagement Manager to develop and implement a strategic approach to communications and outreach. The work will have a special focus on nature-based finance.
About the Ecosystems Knowledge Network
We are working towards a time when the value of the natural environment for wellbeing and prosperity is harnessed to its full potential. Our mission is to equip people so that our vision becomes reality. We exist to provide an effective way of sharing know-how, innovation and ideas across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Our growing network involves over 3,000 professionals who work within and beyond the environment sector. This includes representation from over 600 local initiatives UK-wide that are improving the stewardship of land, water and nature. Through events, online resources and signposting advice, we deliver excellent learning opportunities. We share know-how across borders within the UK, as well as between a wide range of professions, sectors and interest groups.
In collaboration with the Green Finance Institute, and with support from the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation, we are launching a new programme of shared learning to catalyse nature-based finance in the UK.
- To develop and implement a strategic approach to communications that advances the Network’s mission. This includes a special focus on nature-based finance.
Key tasks and duties
- To produce an actionable Communications Plan in accordance with the current needs, mission and priorities of the Network, including work on nature-based finance.
- To raise the visibility of the Network among certain priority groups of professionals, especially in relation to supporting a pipeline of projects seeking nature-based finance. This includes raising the profile of our events.
- To take responsibility for our regular communications with members via e-news and social media.
- To manage content on the Network website, which is currently being redeveloped.
- To support all staff in implementing the Communications Plan, liaising with them to identify opportunities for raising the profile and impact of the Network
- Growth in the diversity and number of our membership and other beneficiaries, especially with regard to nature-based finance.
- Enhanced reputation for the Ecosystems Knowledge Network as a trusted, independent and impartial source of insight on nature-based finance.
- Meet or exceed all operational targets, deliverables and outcomes within agreed budgets and on time. • Fulfil expectations of funders as agreed in contracts and offer letters.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with colleagues and partners, ensuring compliance with company employment policies and creating a positive work culture.
- Make recommendations, secure necessary resources and implement agreed actions to develop and improve programme delivery.
- Support other members of the Senior Management Team in providing timely reports and information as required.
Responsibilities for other people and resources
- Budgets for the delivery of outreach and engagement activities.
- Network Director.
- Part-time post, two or three days a week. The hours can be distributed any mix of weekdays. Flexibility in working hours will be required where events, travel or project deadlines require.
- Salary dependent on skills and experience. We offer an employer pension contribution of 8% of salary. Leave allowance of 25 days per year, plus public holidays.
- Fixed-term to 31st October 2023. Additional roles may arise in the longer term, especially if the candidate can secure the necessary funding.
- This role is only for those who already hold the right to work in the UK.
Qualifications and professional standing
- Higher education qualification.
- Higher education qualification relating to communications, PR and marketing.
- Higher education qualification connected with the stewardship of land, water and nature.
- Development of a Communications Plan for public-facing organisation or project.
- Management of social media accounts for professional audiences.
- Management of website content containing technical information.
- Ability to communicate technical information in Plain English.
- Ability to set briefs and work with communication agencies.
- Ability to produce high-quality graphics.
- Ability to communicate via visual learning methods.
- Work on a project or programme relating to the connections between environment, wellbeing and prosperity.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with people from different sectors, at all levels.
- Ability to quickly learn new concepts and communicate them clearly.
- Self-motivated, well-organised and able to implement a work programme with minimal supervision.
- The ability to work in an impartial manner, respecting expertise in all sectors.
- A proven interest in improving stewardship of the natural environment throughout the UK.
- The capacity and willingness to travel within the UK for face-to-face meetings and to support events, with overnight stays.
Ecosystems Knowledge Network is an equal opportunities employer. We provide a supportive and inclusive working environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential.
In addition to competitive remuneration, we can offer a host of wider benefits.
This role will enable you to gain a bird's eye view of the very best in the stewardship of land, water and nature in the UK. The postholder will be part of a growing team in an award-winning knowledge-sharing forum, respected for its insight and independence. By joining a small team in a growing organisation, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you are making a difference to our charitable mission and our social enterprise. You'll also be making a difference for people and nature.
Enjoy a work base within the beautiful Howbery Business Park in Oxfordshire. Our office is within walking distance of the market town of Wallingford and has good bus connections with Oxford.