Secret Compass is a Bristol-based expedition and risk management company, our ambitious projects seek to achieve the extraordinary in the world’s wildest places.
Over the last decade we have completed world-first trekking, packrafting and mountain biking expeditions across the globe, in locations as diverse as South Sudan, North Korea, Afghanistan, DRC and Panama’s infamous Darien Gap. We also support a growing slate of TV and Film projects across the world spanning the breaking news, drama, natural history, reality TV and factual genres.
As the company continues to grow, Secret Compass is recruiting Project Managers to assist us in delivering our growing portfolio of work across our range of projects.
Outline of role
The successful candidate will be an integral part of the Secret Compass Operations Team, focused on the delivery of high quality, professional support across a wide range of varied projects, whether for TV and Film, or Expeditions. This will involve working with the wider Secret Compass team in assessing projects, developing and reviewing risk assessments, safety plans and supporting our clients to successfully achieve their goals.
Key areas of responsibility.
- Project Management. Manage own portfolio of projects across the team expeditions, bespoke adventures, brand projects and TV risk management segments including research and development, budgeting, invoicing, briefings etc.
- Risk Documentation. Assist with the development and review of Risk Assessments, Safety Plans and other key documentation, in conjunction with the other project managers, guides, consultants and project leads.
- Project Delivery. Where required, help to deliver the required preparation, logistics and admin support for any project, anywhere in the world.
The successful candidate will ideally have experience of writing risk management paperwork within the outdoor, security or military sectors.
This role requires a dynamic, fast moving, adaptable and flexible individual who takes a positive, solution-oriented approach to problem solving. Good report writing and a studious attention to detail is essential for the role and we are particularly looking for candidates who are highly organised and efficient, with excellent time management skills. In addition, the candidate will be personable, flexible, team focused and have a willingness to be client-facing.
On-the-ground experience and understanding of the type of projects we deliver is desirable for this role. This could be from the expedition, TV and Film or security sectors and we welcome applicants from a range of backgrounds. Similarly candidates who have professional or personal experience of, or interest in, working in remote outdoor environments or of the outdoor industry would be of interest. A working knowledge of ISO31000 and/or BS8848 is also advantageous but not essential.
Life at SCHQ
We’re a fun team at SCHQ, we’re busy, with sections of the company spanning the adventure travel, TV and film, risk management, creative production and magazine industries, there is no such thing as a ‘normal’ day.
The dog-friendly office is situated in South Bristol within walking distance of shops, town and a park with many of the team choosing to walk or cycle to work – not exactly a hardship in the South-West’s adventure capital and ‘Best Place to Live in the UK’!
Our informal office is populated by ‘outdoorsy-types’ with hobbies ranging from climbing to cycling, horse riding to hiking, and surfing to skiing – and our annual staff days out often reflect these interests with previous trips including coasteering, SUPing and a mountain-bike pub crawl.
Key benefits include:
- Competitive salary dependent on experience
- Comprehensive onboarding and training programme including CPD opportunities
- 20 days leave (increasing each year) plus bank holidays and Christmas close-down
- Generous staff expedition policy and kit discounts
- Pension, cycle to work scheme and options to request specific benefits
- Relaxed dress-code, dog-friendly office, in-house bar, unlimited tea, coffee and strange international concoctions
Applications will be open until noon on Friday 22 April 2022. Applications may close before the deadline, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.