Our Impact Management team have been global pioneers in shaping the practice of impact management since 2002. Through its impact management function, Bridges not only developed best-in-class approaches for incorporating ESG risks and opportunities into its investment processes, but also created a market-leading methodology to guide the team towards selecting the most impactful opportunities that addressed the UK’s biggest societal and environmental challenges.
Bridges Impact Management team are responsible for the mainstreaming of this approach and facilitating greater harmonisation of standards across the ESG, impact and sustainability sectors, through the Impact Management Project (a time-bound, field-building effort which the team ran from 2016-21).
Members of the team are expected to execute on best practice standards and frameworks to keep pushing the boundaries of transparent and effective impact management. Specifically, in this role, you would support the private equity growth business strategies in their efforts to manage businesses to deliver attractive financial returns alongside measurable societal and sustainability impact, and disclose its impacts to stakeholders.
Bridges’ impact management practice is central to our entire investment approach: from sourcing deals, to value creation, to exit. Your primary role will be to optimise and manage the social and environmental impact of our portfolio, working hand-in-hand with our investment teams to:
- Establish sectors and sub-sectors where our capital can add the most value
- Identify impact risks and opportunities pre-investment
- Apply our impact tools to measure and optimise impact during an investment
- Deliver best-in-class impact initiatives that drive value across the portfolio
- Lead on impact reporting that positions Bridges well with investors and the market
Priorities for the role
There are several priorities for the role:
- Team: Working within a team of three in the UK, reporting to the Partner and Head of Impact, you will be working across impact activities within Bridges’ strategies to drive innovation both within Bridges and across the wider market.
- Impact selection: With the Impact team, you will support origination and investment teams with detailed impact analysis throughout the investment selection process, focusing primarily on the Sustainable Growth and Evergreen funds.
- Impact measurement and engagement: You will track progress through hands-on engagement with portfolio companies; delivering impact initiatives that drive value across the portfolio.
- Impact reporting: You will collect data and deliver impact reporting that positions Bridges well with investors. This will include annual data collection, analysis and assistance with the production of a written report for investors across all funds.
- Advocacy: Our Impact Team has played an important global role, co-ordinating dynamic pieces of research to provoke and engage thought-leadership across a variety of stakeholders. You will contribute to the continuous advocacy and support of smaller thought pieces on selected topics.
Key attributes we are looking for:
- A passion for impact management to drive social change: We believe in achieving positive outcomes for people and planet.
- Demonstration of research capabilities and a desire to continue to learn, with subsequent ability to embed and execute a range of ideas and methodologies.
- Ability to think differently: Bridges is a pioneer in the impact investing, and impact management field. Remaining at the forefront requires logical and analytical rigour, a willingness to question every assumption, and an ability to be creative and solutions-driven.
- Ability to build trust, and work effectively as a team: We can only achieve our audacious goals if we work collaboratively; and this can only be achieved through mutual trust. Everything we do must be fully transparent and open to scrutiny. This requires excellent interpersonal skills, a focus on mission over ego, and absolute integrity.
- Ability to be detail-focused and targets driven: We are accountable to all of our stakeholders. This requires the proven ability to prioritise effectively, and be comfortable managing tight deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively: This requires the ability to communicate fluently with a wide variety of stakeholders and to incorporate feedback, through the use of excellent written and oral communication skills and a commitment to accuracy.
You will have:
- 2+ years of experience working in investing or consulting
- Practical understanding of impact and ESG standards and methodologies
- Understanding of private equity fund management and growth businesses
- Good analytical skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills: adept at working with multiple stakeholders at all levels.
Compensation and Benefits
The remuneration offered will be commensurate with experience.
- The health and wellbeing of our employees is really important to us. We will offer a range of benefits to you, including enhanced family friendly policies, employee healthcare benefits, employee protection benefits, an employee assistance programme, alongside other well-being initiatives to promote a healthier working environment.
- You will get 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays, and a 5% contribution to the company pension scheme.
5-8 weeks in total.
We will filter applications in early June and begin to arrange interviews w.c. 13th June, with a view to making an appointment by early July.