The Strategic Initiatives team has ongoing needs for short-term consultants, and at times, full time team members. By applying for this requisition, you will be added to the candidate pool, and contacted for positions based on the qualifications listed in your career profile/CV, and the length of assignment you indicate you are interested in.
Everyone deserves the opportunity to build a better future. This simple idea has been at the heart of TechnoServe’s work around the world for over 50 years. TechnoServe is a pioneer in leveraging the power of business and markets to create sustainable pathways out of poverty.
The low-income communities in which we work are full of enterprising people. Their small-scale farms and businesses are the keys to economic development. But they face many challenges: low literacy, lack of access to jobs and markets, unpredictable political dynamics and, increasingly, the effects of climate change. For many women and young people, the challenges are even more daunting. Working with TechnoServe staff, people around the world are lifting themselves out of poverty. The results are amazing...when incomes increase and living conditions for families get better, they are able to access health care and education previously out of reach. Communities and even whole countries are better off.
We recognize and appreciate the value of a diverse workforce. We are a team of nearly 2,000 individuals working across 29 countries -- over 95% of our staff are from the countries in which they work. We have varied talents, backgrounds, personal histories, and worldviews. As such, TechnoServe encourages diversity in all levels and across all facets of our organization. Diversity, equity, and inclusion is at the heart of what we do.
About the Strategic Initiatives Team
Working with Nespresso to revive the coffee sector in Puerto Rico after the devastation of Hurricane Maria. Developing online learning tools to digitize ecommerce retailers in partnership with Mastercard. Collaborating with Danone, Walmart, and strawberry farmers in Mexico to enable sustainable, regenerative production. Partnering with Anglo American and the Inter-American Development bank to create jobs across Peru, Chile, and Brazil -- a program that was named one of five finalists for the P3 Impact Award for public-private partnerships. These are recent examples of projects overseen by TechnoServe’s Strategic Initiatives team, as we partner with multinational corporations to use business solutions to solve poverty.
The Strategic Initiatives team aims to increase farmer and micro and small business revenues by $1 billion by 2026 through the development of solutions that will increase the incomes of hundreds of thousands of people in the world's poorest places. We currently seek skilled, motivated, passionate individuals to join our team to help make this ambitious goal a reality.
Learn more about our team and read bios of current team members here.
What will I do in this role?
Strategic Initiatives team members combine top-tier business advisory / management consulting experience with a commitment to our mission. Team members lead strategy projects with leading multinational corporations focused on embedding shared value in their business practices while collaborating with TechnoServe's country teams across Africa, Latin America, and India. The specific nature of the engagements will depend on the evolving needs of our corporate partners. However, it will likely include climate (e.g., regenerative agricultural practices), technology (e.g., geo-spatial mapping, chatbots), and consortium building (e.g., Kamala Harris’ Partnership for Central America). Engagements will likely include:
- Supporting development of strategies to drive poverty reduction and resilience to climate change
- Conducting diagnostics to develop the business case and implementation plan for specific projects around the world
- Supporting our implementation teams in ensuring projects generate both impact and value
How will I grow?
Strategic Initiatives team members have multiple pathways for growth within the team, across TechnoServe and beyond:
- Grow within Strategic Initiatives: Get promoted internally growing your areas of expertise, responsibility and client portfolio
- Grow across TechnoServe: Run your own program in one of our 29 country offices, join one of our country or regional teams, or join one of our technical practices areas
- Grow academically: Take the on-the-ground experience you have gained and apply it in an academic setting to pursue an MBA, public policy, or other graduate degree
What will my responsibilities be?
- Structure, design, and conduct primary and secondary research in emerging markets, including review and analysis of relevant existing reports and data
- Conduct interviews with senior stakeholders (e.g., government, multilateral donors, corporate partners, implementation partners, NGOs external industry experts)
- Develop and structure analytical models (e.g., financial projections, operational models) and conduct quantitative analyses (e.g., break-even analysis, return-on-investment, price elasticity)
- Synthesize findings and deliver regular progress reviews
- Author final deliverables (e.g., presentations, reports)
- Deliver findings to corporate partners and external stakeholders
- Conduct workshops and meetings with corporate partners and external stakeholders
- Manage junior team members (e.g., Program Associates) and TechnoServe Fellows in studies
- Alongside engagement with corporate partners, the position will also support Strategic Initiatives' new business development and analysis of relevant global development issues
- Bachelor's degree with professional experience at a top tier management consulting firm
- Proven analytical and financial modeling skills
- Strong command of MS PowerPoint, Excel, and Word
- Commitment to the TechnoServe mission of poverty reduction
- Work experience in a developing country preferred
- Fluency in English; professional proficiency in Spanish, French or Portuguese strongly preferred
- Willingness to travel to countries in Africa and/or Latin America for 2-4 week periods (up to ~25% travel)
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, flexibility and responsively
- Able to prioritize to meet deadlines, and to adapt to changing conditions
Please note: While we are considering candidates globally, TechnoServe is unable to sponsor work authorization in any location
We encourage all qualified individuals who share TechnoServe's vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.
With our commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact the Human Resources at email@example.com or call +1 202 785 4515.