Join Provenance as our Chief Product and Technology Officer! (CPTO)
An exciting and rare opportunity to join a rapidly growing SaaS startup creating systemic change in the world. Provenance is enabling transparency on the social and environmental impact of consumer products, and we’re looking for a great mission-aligned leader to join our stellar team as a Chief Product and Technology Officer (CPTO).
Reporting directly to the Founder & CEO, you’ll be an influential member of the executive team with the autonomy to make things happen at pace and scale. Collaborating with the leadership team to set the direction for the product and company and execute.
We are scaling the business from hundreds of brand and retail customers - to thousands! This means Provenance will be served up to millions of shoppers who want to shop in line with their values. You’ll be leading a talented team to hit our exciting product and technical goals with our excellent Head of Engineering and Head of Product reporting to you, and will help scale this team to 20+ over your first year and beyond.
What you'll be doing
Strategy and leadership
- Working closely with our leadership team to set the vision and shape the future of our product and technology to meet our business goals
- Create and execute a product, architecture and engineering roadmap
- Assess opportunities, risks, and drive decisions to best ensure our competitive advantage
- Communicate our product and technology strategy to customers, partners and shareholders
- Make the business case for large product and technology initiatives
Team development and processes
- Coach and develop our talented Product and Engineering teams working closely with our Head of Engineering and Head of Product
- Short and long term team design and resource planning to meet goals
- Attract and hire great talent - employees, freelancers and advisers
- Nurture and grow our culture of curious problem solving, testing and shared learning
- Ensure clear and constantly improving delivery and quality assurance processes
- Set, monitor and hit KPIs
Product, Architecture and Engineering
- Ownership of the specification, architecture, and implementation of our SaaS solution working closely with our Head of Engineering
- Evaluate and implement new tools and infrastructure
- Optimise performance and security
- Outline goals for product discovery or research and development, driving the team towards successful learning outcomes and clear decisions working closely with our Head of Product
- Staying on top of relevant tech trends, tools and resources
What you will need
- Passion for “tech for good” and a desire to have a purposeful day job doing good for people and the planet
- A love for high-growth start-up environments, with the creative problem-solving ability to adapt rapidly to a changing landscape
- Experience hiring, coaching and managing top talent to establish and grow technology teams, experience with product teams a bonus
- Excellent track record of designing and developing software applications from the implementation level to the architectural level
- Experience in B2B SaaS is a must, with some B2C (OR B2B2C) experience
- Fundraising experience in start-up / scale-up organisations (ideally at Series A - C)
- A proven ability to take projects from requirements and rough ideas and experiments through to robust solutions - distilling complex product requirements into deliverable features
- A demonstrated track record of using agile development methodologies and techniques to successfully deliver great software - working in lean, iterative ways to create software from the ground up
- Good communication skills and experience interfacing with technical and non-technical counterparts on presentations, product demos, and implementation work
- An engineering background (any tech stack, and you do not have to be hands-on anymore!)
Salary Range: £120k - £150k + Equity
Why work at Provenance?
A career at Provenance is an opportunity to help tackle some of our greatest global challenges every day.
Provenance powers sustainability claims you can trust. As the global leader in sustainability marketing technology, we help brands and retailers share credible, compelling and fact-checked social and environmental impact information at the point of sale. Provenance’s technology is already increasing conversion rates, brand value and market share for customers including Cult Beauty, Douglas, GANNI, Napolina, Arla and Unilever. Our vision is a world where citizens can make informed buying decisions that positively impact both people and planet.
We’re a small, open and creative team with expertise in marketing, sustainability and technology and a shared goal to drive positive change for people and the planet. We pride ourselves on operating with integrity and making saving the world through system change fun! We really value and do our best to support our fantastic team. We offer:
- Employee share option program (so you can own a share of the company!)
- Workplace pension
- Flexible working options (both location and times): We are a hybrid team, with an office in Kings Cross, London and team members based across the UK. We are well set up for collaborative remote working as well as fun and productive quarterly in-office team days.
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays and a full day off on your birthday
- 2 x days Slow Travel allowance - to encourage and reward our team for using alternative methods of transport for their holidays which are lower in emissions than flying!
- Individual wellbeing allowance to support your mental and physical health
- Generous parental leave policy for both primary and secondary care-givers
- Learning and development budget to support your career growth (e.g. courses, conferences, workshops)
- Team workshops, demos and regular social events
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
We are proudly Certified B-Corp and an Escape the City Top 100 winner. Read more on our mission here.
We believe in equal opportunities
It takes a diverse and inclusive community of passionate, talented and committed people to build a system to enable commerce to be a force for good. We’re an equal opportunity employer, so we welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, with different outlooks and experiences.
To apply please submit your CV and Cover Letter. We look forward to hearing from you!