Location: London (Chancery Lane) and homeworking
Contract: 12 -18 month fixed term (Maternity Cover)
Accountable to: Senior Director, Data & Portfolio
Salary Band: £52,750 - £63,250 (depending on experience)
Overall Purpose of the Role
As we celebrate 10 years since Big Society Capital’s (BSC’s) launch and implement our brand new 2025 strategy to scale social impact investment and improve peoples’ lives in the UK, it is an exciting year to join the organisation as Data and Portfolio Manager, while a team member is taking maternity leave.
Working within the Data and Portfolio Operations Team (DPO Team), you will ensure that Big Society Capital manages portfolio data, impact data and systems effectively to produce accurate, timely, and strategic management information. The data will be used both internally, with the board and externally on our website. The data will be in respect of BSC’s own Portfolio, and the SBSI Trust portfolio. In an emerging market this data is a crucial driver of Big Society Capital and our partners’ learning, decision-making and strategic planning.
Statement of Responsibility
Portfolio Data & Management Information
- Assisting the Senior Director, Data and Portfolio and DPO Team to meet BSC’s data requirements, including establishing priorities, planning systems and process changes, and efficiently implementing these changes
- Assisting with Data points within the BSC Annual Report and Review
- Ensuring that information and data stored on Salesforce, presented through Dashboards, visualised through Tableau & published on BSC’s website is up-to-date and accurate
- Creation of reports and presentations that are engaging, user-friendly & insightful - incorporating best practices in data visualisation and storytelling
- Working collaboratively with Market System, Engagement, Finance, Legal, Communications, SBSI and Impact Teams on cross functional projects and initiatives
- Presenting the “Data Dives” session at bi-annual induction for sector peers on data use at Big Society Capital
Impact Data & Systems Change
- Support redesign of BSC’s Annual Impact Performance Committee meeting format and approach
- Lead on delivery of BSC’s Performance Committee (PerCo), including a) design of relevant templates, b) support to the team to complete required materials and c) compilation of all materials submitted to committee members
- The work will be delivered, under guidance of the Head of Impact and in close collaboration with an Impact Directorand Market System Leads
Market System Performance Review Workshops
- Support preparation of data insights and materials (system change, enterprise, impact, and broader market data) for respective workshops in consultation with Market System Leads and Head of Impact.
- Lead on continuing design and execution of BSC’s enterprise level data collection, management, and analysis
- Work with relevant teams and individuals across the organisation to design data collection and management processes for the various enterprise level data streams (standing data, resilience and impact growth data, business model data, Equality Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) data
- Lead on engagement with fund managers, as it relates to the collection of enterprise data. This includes provision of guidance and support materials to facilitate implementation of new processes.
- Lead on data analysis and provide inputs to MS teams and Annual Performance Review Workshop.
Market system change dashboards
- Lead on design & delivery of Market System Change dashboards, in close collaboration with Market System Leads, Market System Impact Leads, and Head of Impact
SBSI Trust Impact Support
- In parallel with BSC Portfolio Impact data plans ensure that SBSI impact data is up to date and feeds into key internal and external impact management processes
- Support external impact communication tools through data provision: website, interactive impact map, annual impact report & annual report
External Market Data
- Managing the annual end-to-end process for both the Market Sizing estimate & Enterprise Level Data release.
- Using Tableau to visualise data – enabling insight into Social Investment in the UK
- Expanding the volume and improving the quality of data on social investment activity and performance
We use Salesforce as our single-source-truth for portfolio data and Tableau as a visualization tool.
- Maintaining & developing the back-end architecture of Salesforce alongside the Salesforce Administrator
- A background relevant to Big Society Capital objectives (such as government, social enterprise, finance, or investment)
- A passion for and demonstrable commitment to Big Society Capital’s social mission and the UK social sector
- Experience and confidence in using Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience in data management
- Proven project management skills
- Experience and confidence in using Salesforce & Tableau
- Experience leading on (impact) data management process design and execution
- Experience in supporting design and execution of impact management processes within impact investing organisations
Skills, Abilities, & Attributes
- Structured thinker able to synthesize, simplify and reframe complex problems
- A collaborative team player, able to establish excellent working relationships
- Attention to detail with an ability to prioritize ideas and initiatives
- Comfortable with ambiguity, and the ability to work towards a bigger vision, which may be a moving target
- Ability to balance quantitative with qualitative, leading to pragmatic creativity
- We are a UK-based business with an office in the Chancery Lane area of London, accessible to a number of public transport links. Our current approach allows colleagues to spend 40% - 60% of their working hours in the office, and the remainder from home. We hope that this working pattern encourages Big Society Capital employees to achieve a healthy balance between work and personal goals, as we continue to adapt to the changing needs of our diverse workforce.
- Right to work: for candidates who do not have the right to work in the UK, Big Society Capital may consider visa sponsorship
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: Big Society Capital is committed to being a diverse organisation that is truly representative of the communities we serve. We are an equal opportunities employer with an inclusive environment where all employees can contribute to their fullest potential. We want every colleague to be able to deliver their work with dignity, equality, comfort and independence. Our office is fully accessible with step-free access and an open-plan set up. We are open to accommodation requests regarding assistive technologies, accessibility tools, flexible working or any other reasonable adjustments that will make working or visiting here more accessible for you. If you have a disability or other access needs and require any support to assist you through the recruitment process, please get in touch with Ruth Davidson (People and Talent Manager) at email@example.com
- Applied is a platform designed to minimise unconscious bias in recruitment. You will be asked some work-based questions which are reviewed anonymously by the hiring panel. Please note, while you will upload your CV, it will not be viewed by panel members at this stage, so we ask that you give full consideration to each answer.
- As a Disability Confident employer, we guarantee an interview for all candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the job. We are defining a disability in accordance with the Equality Act 2010, as a person who has a physical or mental impairment, and the impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. You will be asked in your Applied application whether this applies to you.