A bit about Field:
To reach Net Zero, we need to solve big challenges - like how to store energy, solve grid intermittency, and heat our homes without fossil fuels. And, if we’re going to prevent climate catastrophe, we need to do this now. Field will fund, build and run the renewable infrastructure we need to tackle these challenges.
We’re starting with energy storage, with a portfolio of batteries in the UK. Storage is critical to the future success of renewable energy in the UK and beyond. It allows us to store renewable energy for when it's needed, creating a more reliable, flexible and green grid.
We need to massively accelerate the deployment of storage assets. At Field, we will show that batteries are a totally viable part of our energy infrastructure - now, not in some distant future. And, we have ambitious plans to become the defining new clean energy player in Europe over the next few years, gradually expanding beyond batteries into new asset types.
Our founder is Amit Gudka, who previously co-founded Bulb.
The General Manager will play a key role in shaping our growth story in new markets, as we look to accelerate the energy transition in countries beyond the UK.
As a General Manager you will set up, lead and scale Field’s business operations within Germany. The General Manager will be part of the Strategy Team at Field, reporting to the Head of Strategy.
Below is an overview of the main responsibilities.
- Launch country operations:
- Work with HQ to set up the basics (legal entity, structure, office, tax, …)
- Define and execute the go-to-market strategy
- Define the optimal go-to-market strategy for the market, in partnership with HQ
- Rapidly build out a high quality project pipeline in attractive locations
- Work closely with our HQ analysis team to oversee the build out of a fundamental country revenue model, for building detailed site economics as well as valuing sites
- With support from HQ, run multiple competitive procurement tender processes to select preferred vendors for key functions (engineering, procurement, construction, operations and maintenance)
- Manage and rapidly scale the business
- Oversee the construction of assets to tight deadlines
- Oversee the operation of assets, likely in partnership with an O&M provider
- Build out core functions, hiring a team of rockstar talent with deep sector expertise
- Business planning & strategy
- Define the local market strategy, in partnership with HQ
- Efficiently manage business timelines and key interdependencies (fundraising, due diligence, site timelines, procurement deliveries, …)
- Identify, assess, and pursue new revenue services, market segments and/or new opportunities for growth
- Build strong relationships across the sector, exploring any high potential partnership options including M&A
- Support fundraising
- Work closely with HQ to define the optimal fundraising strategy/structure for the local market
- Provide due diligence information and reporting for key investors
- Own the P&L, and budgeting
- Work with HQ to define budgets in an agile way
- Own the day-to-day P&L, and accounts
- Work closely with regulators, and other key domestic bodies
- Work closely with key decision makers, and stakeholder within the energy ecosystem (particularly grid) to promote positive policy action, as well as ensure we are well briefed on any upcoming tenders/relevant developments
A bit about you:
- Enthusiasm and curiosity about the energy storage industry
- Humble and hands-on team player, necessary in a small company environment
- Ability to work well with others at all levels, including senior management
- Ability to work to tight timescales and deadlines
- Ability to multitask, manage time effectively, and plan across multiple initiatives
- Great communicator that enjoys both upskilling team members and learning from them
- Strong negotiation and collaboration skills that bring out the best in Field’s business partners
- Ability to problem solve and provide solutions to enable execution of a project
- Strong decision making skills
- Strong leadership skills, with the ability to motivate and grow a team
Experience and skills we look for:
- 5+ years experience in the energy industry, with a strong understanding of the market fundamentals driving broad investment decisions in the sector
- Previous in-depth General Manager experience, which includes setting up and growing a team in new markets, including hiring staff, setting OKRs and leading and motivating a team to execute against key objectives. You can demonstrate a consistent track record of achieving and exceeding targets and driving meaningful business growth.
- You can demonstrate experience in successfully leading and motivating teams, preferably in an energy infrastructure business
- Strong financial acumen and understanding of P&L management and an ability to drive unit economics, develop and manage budgets
- Candidate should have an existing network of energy professionals and partners within the new market to facilitate business growth, including energy infrastructure developers, EPC contractors, engineers and relevant energy infrastructure contacts for a renewables infrastructure company
- Experience or understanding of the energy regulatory environment within the new market
- Strong English & German language skills
Why join us?
- Genuine impact: You will actually be building and operating the renewable infrastructure we need to reach net zero. This is not a green CSR initiative, but a company that is taking a leading role in building one of the critical solutions to a generational problem.
- Make things happen: We are still an early stage start-up, and you will have significant accountability to make things happen from day 1. You will have a lot of autonomy, will learn quickly, and be given a LOT of room to grow.
- Define a new industry: The energy market is in a paradigm shift right now, evolving at a breathtaking pace, and you will play a leading role in defining how that market evolves and innovates over the next few years.
- Exceptional, diverse team: We are an eclectic team with varied backgrounds. We have experience scaling billion dollar tech start-ups, building energy companies, as well as deep specialisms in the energy markets. You will learn from and work with a bunch of fun, curious, and entrepreneurial people that really want to make an impact.
Diversity & inclusion:
Diverse teams make better teams. Field is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment which is as representative as possible of our society. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership pregnancy /maternity, race, nationality, religion or belief, gender, political beliefs and sexual orientation.
- Competitive salary
- Company growth share scheme
- Flexible working to support work life balance
- Co-working office space in Second Home, Brick Lane
- 5% + 3% NEST Pension
- 25 days holiday + 9 days bank holidays
- Annual learning & development budget
- & many more coming soon!