Now more than ever, people want every experience to be instant and on-demand. And when it comes to getting paid, people want their cash yesterday. But every year organisations waste time, money, and energy sending more than $20 Trillion in payouts to individuals using cash, checks, credit, debit, prepaid, and gift cards! Held back by the legacy banking systems, crushed by the costs and complexity of credit cards there is this monster industry still lingering in the digital dark ages.
At WeGift we’re changing all that. We’ve built our proprietary payment rails that enable any organisation to send money to any individual, anywhere, instantly. No bank account required. No insane interchange fees. We even get up to 25% in commissions from retailers for driving sales which we pass on to our customers. It’s discounted money! We’re throwing away the old model, and transforming how we move and use money forever.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
You can read more about our team here - Diversity & Inclusion
As the first Legal hire in the company and reporting into the VP Finance, you’ll have an amazing opportunity to build the legal function and shape the future of the business! We’re looking for a strategic, passionate, and practical attorney to support corporate matters, commercial discussions, product launches and employment matters.
While this is a generalist role, you should have strong experience with corporate law. This role will be key in supporting WeGift’s strategic vision through a legal and compliance lens.
Below are some examples of things you’ll get to own
- Corporate law activities such as financing transactions, new entity setups
- Commercial law, crafting and negotiating on all commercial agreements
- Researching industry specific legal and/or compliance aspects as they arise, in the payments and gift cards industries
- Legal sign off on product releases including data privacy checks, in partnership with Security, Product and Finance
- Employment law, options program management
- Company secretary and governance activities
What Excites You
- Taking ownership of the legal function in the company. We don’t expect you to know everything but you’re keen to broaden your exposure, roll your sleeves up and figure it out
- Finding that balance between driving commercial hyper scale growth, and ensuring the company is protected from the most critical and likely risks
- Setting up usable legal frameworks, processes and tooling that will scale with the company
- Comfortable managing external legal partners, ensuring we receive high quality and value add services
- Growth and company mindset. From fundraising to managing the employee options plan or getting business insurance sorted, no task is too big or small
What Excites Us
- UK qualified lawyer, with 4+ years PQE (ideally 2+ years in a tech scaleup)
- A trusted legal partner who will dig in to understand the business model and product, and help us make the best decisions fit for our size company
- Strong communicator who can translate legal speak into plain and practical language
- Highly collaborative mindset - we’re all working to the same goal after all
- Creative problem solver who takes issues with urgency and thoughtfulness
- US and/or payments experience a plus but not necessary
- Private Medical Health Insurance with Bupa.
- A minimum of 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- All permanent employees receive an extra day off a month to help boost their well-being when they need it.
- Participation in the Employee Options pool giving you ownership in WeGift and participation in the upside.
- Pension scheme (3% contribution)
- For the time being we are a remote-first company, however, we will be moving to a more hybrid structure to allow flexibility between home and office based working. You will therefore be expected to be in our London office (145 City Road, nr Old Street) a set number of days a month, agreed by your manager.
- Generous maternity and paternity packages to make sure you get to spend time with your new bundle of joy.
- £1,000 annual L&D allowance to invest in mastering your craft, including accredited studies.
- Cycle to work scheme - save some £££ on buying a bike.
- Regular virtual team socials.
- Workplace Nursery benefit, where WeGift makes a contribution to your child's nursery for equipment, training, redecoration or anything else
- WeRecognise, where we shine the spotlight on exceptional employees every quarter who in turn get a £200 award in the eGift card of their choice.
- Staff perks with WeGift brands - discounts of up to 12% on coffee, weekly groceries, holidays, the list is endless.
Take a look under the hood of life at WeGift from our employees perspective. This handbook built using Notion.so is what we use to navigate both the serene and choppy waters when needed. You might need to copy and paste the following link into your browser as job boards don't allow us to add hyperlinks - https://bit.ly/2PluGyG