Ada Ventures is a venture capital firm rethinking how venture capital works. We find and fund extraordinary talent where others aren’t looking. We invest in founders building a fairer future for millions of people. Ada Partners LLP (trading as Ada Ventures) is directly authorised and regulated by the FCA, and manages multiple funds and fund-related entities.
Since launching in early 2020, we have invested in fast growing and highly impactful companies like Huboo, Spill, Sproutl, Boundless. We are still learning constantly and our mindset is that of a fast-growth start-up, so you can expect a fast-paced, entrepreneurial culture that values teamwork.
Our investors include some of the biggest names in global tech including the founders of Wise and Supercell, funds including Atomico and the British Business Bank.
As the first Associate in Ada’s operations team you’ll play a key role in the operations of the firm:
- You will work on financial reporting for the Ada Ventures funds, playing a key role in the delivery of our regular reporting to investors and other stakeholders. Depending on experience level, you will either lead these efforts, or support them. This works include:
- The financial reporting and analysis in our quarterly LP reports
- Supporting the investment team and the fund accountants with the annual fund audit work
- Day-to-day fund accounting work such as investor draw downs
- You will have opportunities to work on financial due diligence projects when the investment team is considering specific new or follow-on investments
- You will have opportunities to undertake financial analysis projects on specific portfolio companies, perhaps also providing financial support and guidance to portfolio companies, depending on your experience
- You will play a key role in our data collection & data analysis processes, to help us measure our impact and how we are progressing against our firm goals.
- You will be responsible for maintaining accurate records in the company folders including signed legal documents and cap tables.
- Experience dependent, you will work with the investment team on deal completions, ensuring all investment check-list items are complete prior to the fund investing
- You will be actively involved in investor onboarding procedures before we close our fund.
- You are a keen researcher with an open attitude to learning about regulatory changes, ESG, and new software tools or processes. As part of this, you will have an important role in improving & assessing major operational processes for the firm.
- You take pride in developing & implementing best-in-class compliance & operational processes.
- You will have an opportunity to manage our scout & angel network, and be involved in the delivery of our key events each year – AdaCon, our annual (virtual) conference (open to the public), and our Annual General Meeting (AGM).
- You will have an opportunity to lead on strategic projects as the need arises.
- Financial reporting for Ada Ventures funds
- Support with financial analysis, support and guidance for Ada and our portfolio companies
- Maintaining databases
- Leading on completion processes
- Preparing quarterly reports
- Data analysis & impact management
- Investor onboarding
- Regulatory compliance processes
- Research & learning about technical areas – e.g. regulatory, ESG, software & tools.
- Ad hoc operational support, leading on projects where necessary
- Building your own network of VC operators
- You will have a keen eye for detail and pride yourself in solving technical & numerical problems.
- You will have the opportunity to build relationships with operations associates or subject matter leads in other VC firms and start ups.
- You will report directly to the Head of Operations, working closely with the rest of the Ada senior leadership team on a project-by-project basis.
The following is a requirement for this role:
- You have an ACCA/CIMA, ACA or equivalent financial qualification. If you do not have a formal qualification in accounting / finance, we would still expect you to be comfortable with maintaining accounts & be strongly financially literate and comfortable numerically.
Otherwise, we believe that diversity makes for better performance and we are actively looking for diverse candidates. If you don’t meet all of these criteria but think you’d be a great fit for the role, we’d still love to talk to you.
- You have 2-3 years of commercial experience in a financial role
- You have commercial experience which demonstrates a passion for early stage technology and start-ups
- You have exceptional attention to detail
- You are extremely organised
- You are technically minded and are comfortable learning about areas that are brand new to you, including regulations, finance, and start-up operations
- You are very comfortable numerically
- You have strong excel skills and very good written communication
- You are a values-driven individual, prizing integrity and fairness highly
- You are more “we” than “I”
- Operating experience in an early-stage start up or in a VC fund
London, UK (Notting Hill Gate)
Unfortunately, we are not sponsoring visas at this time.
You'll benefit from:
- Competitive salary
- Opportunity to join the long-term (carried interest/equity) incentive plan after 12 months
- Parental and adoption leave for employees that have been with the fund for more than 12 months
- Training & development budget
- Private healthcare
- Pension contribution
- 25 days holiday per year excluding bank holidays
- Some flexible working, including most Mondays & Tuesdays in the London office (with the rest of the Ada team)
- Opportunity to work remotely during two weeks of the year
Working at Ada
- The full time team is made up of Check Warner & Matt Penneycard (Partners & the investment team), supported by Diarra Smith (Head of Portfolio & Brand) and Xun Ning Choong (Head of Operations). We are supported by an incredible community of LPs, VC operators, consultants, Ada Scouts, Ada Angels and advisors.
- Our culture & values are incredibly important to us and give us a framework for how we show up at work every day. We also expect everyone who works with us to abide by our Code of Conduct.
- Our team is our greatest joy & asset – we want to build a culture where the team is looked after and able to perform at their best each day.
- Family & health first – working hard is an imperative at Ada, but never at the expense of family, mental, or physical health
Expected hiring process
We are expecting the hiring process to be as follows. This is an indicative timeline only and the process may be accelerated if we find a suitable candidate.
- 9 Sept 2022: Applications open, including a numerical skills test (Mapped). This test is intended as an additional data point for us and not an automatic disqualifier.
- 12 Oct 2022: Applications close
- Depending on the number of applicants, we may start interviews before applications close.
- November: first & second round interviews
- 8 Dec 2022: In person interview/case study at Ada's London office
- January 2022: final round & job offer
We have designed this process to try and reduce bias in our hiring process as much as possible. If you have any accessibility requirements, please let us know when completing the application form and we will do our best to accommodate any reasonable requests, including any additional time needed for the numerical skills test.
In particular, we understand that numerical tests and written applications may not be you preferred form of application / testing, but please do complete the application and we will take note of your accessibility needs as part of your application.
For the numerical test, please do take the practice test to familiarise yourself with the style/type of questions asked. If you need more time for the test, please follow the instructions on the test page and email Applied who can set this up for you.