PLEASE APPLY THROUGH OUR WEBSITE BY CLICKING 'APPLY'
Everyone deserves the opportunity to build a better future. This simple idea has been at the heart of TechnoServe’s work around the world for over 50 years. TechnoServe is a pioneer in leveraging the power of business and markets to create sustainable pathways out of poverty.
The low-income communities in which we work are full of enterprising people. Their small-scale farms and businesses are the keys to economic development. But they face many challenges: low literacy, lack of access to jobs and markets, unpredictable political dynamics and, increasingly, the effects of climate change. For many women and young people, the challenges are even more daunting. Working with TechnoServe staff, people around the world are lifting themselves out of poverty. The results are amazing...when incomes increase and living conditions for families get better, they are able to access health care and education previously out of reach. Communities and even whole countries are better off.
TechnoServe is seeking qualified candidates to join our Fellows Program. Fellows take part in field-based projects ranging from 3 to 12 months in which they engage directly with entrepreneurs, industry experts, TechnoServe field staff, and other stakeholders.
Fellows have the opportunity to lead projects in areas such as business plan development, industry analysis and strategy, financial analysis, and capital raising. A typical project might be conducting an Industry Strategic Plan (ISP). ISPs are a standard part of our approach to assessing the potential competitiveness, opportunities, challenges and key success factors in a given sector at both the country and regional levels.
Read more about the program and sample projects here: https://www.technoserve.org/get-involved/fellows-program
We review Fellow applications for our general candidate database on a rolling basis, and encourage qualified, enthusiastic candidates – especially those with French and/or Spanish fluency – to apply.
Role: HortiMap Communications Fellow
Description: HortiMAP aims to sustainably improve the productivity and supply of high-quality horticulture products, improve competitiveness and access to markets, and strengthen the institutional and regulatory framework. Techno Serve is seeking Technical Assistance to revise and put in place a realistic communications strategy that serves the interests of TechnoServe, EKN, the donor, and the Horticulture Sector. The Strategy shall introduce the most appropriate communication tools that reach the various target groups and allow for intense visibility of the work done by HortiMAP and its partners, while building a clear relationship between the strategic objectives and the approaches. The assignment will include support offered to the local interns to roll out the designed tools and review the various reporting templates.
Role: Industry Mapping Fellow
Description: In partnership with the Senior Business Development Specialist, the Volunteer Consultant will design and embark upon a robust assessment of the food processing sector in the country. H/She will engage with all of the local stakeholders and industry (including farmers, farmer organizations, export companies, regulators and certification bodies, input companies, local and international donors, food processors and other relevant stakeholders) in order to collect sufficient data to:
- Assess the local food processing sector
- Assess the supply chain for local food processing
- Analyze local consumption of relevant food products
- Identify technology and business challenges to further develop the food processing sector
- Outline the landscape of local organizations positioned to provide training and capacity building to the food-processing industry
- Recommend actions to strengthen some of these local organizations
- Recommend how to customize the program’s Knowledge and Technology Transfer Model to local context
Role: Inclusive Business Plan Fellowship with Commercial Agriculture programme
Location: Variable, agribusiness location/s in Africa and Asia
Description: TechnoServe is seeking analysts to oversee the delivery of Inclusive Business Plans with agribusinesses in sub-Saharan Africa and Asia. The Inclusive Business Plan is a roadmap for the agribusiness to deepen or broaden the impact of its supply chain and deliver shared value to smallholders and shareholders. The Inclusive Business Plan:
- Diagnoses smallholder supply chain challenges;
- Identifies or validates the inclusive business growth opportunity, aligned to commercial objectives;
- Quantifies the opportunity in terms of commercial value for the business and impact for smallholder farmers;
- Lays out a strategy to access the opportunity including investment and any partners required;
- Maps out an implementation plan; a linked package of technical assistance and blended finance structure, including required partnerships to support the inclusive business model.
Reach out to email@example.com to see the full scopes of work for each of these opportunities.
Fees and Expenses
TechnoServe will cover work-related costs of international travel, including airfare, in-country accommodation, local transportation and a daily per diem for meals. These expenses are agreed upon in advance in a volunteer contract. Please note that this is a pro bono position and TechnoServe cannot provide fees for services rendered.
COVID-19 Update: We are still accepting applications for the Fellows Program, however, due to health and travel concerns, we are providing in-country field placements on a case by case basis. Please note, we are unable to provide per diem or reimbursements for remote projects.
The process for becoming a Fellow is highly selective. In assessing a candidate’s fit with this opening, we will consider the following:
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree
- Minimum of two years of full-time work experience
- Demonstrated problem-solving and analytical skills, typically through experience with a management consulting firm
- Superior communication skills
- Proven ability to develop an industry or client strategy (including familiarity with developing issue trees, prioritization matrices, etc., to guide one’s approach)
- Ability to structure and manage complex tasks
- Ability to develop clear storylines and presentations
- Ability to work independently
- Evidence of creativity, flexibility and resourcefulness
- Enthusiasm for contributing to TechnoServe’s mission
How to apply
To apply for a TechnoServe Fellows role, please visit our website at: https://www.technoserve.org/work-with-us/fellows-program/#apply
There you will find instructions for how to submit your application materials, along with more information about the Fellows Program and TechnoServe. Please also refer to the FAQs and Sample Project Types listed on the website.