Our mission is to become the global standard for addressing. Street addresses weren’t designed for 2021. They aren’t accurate enough to specify building entrances, and they don’t exist for parks, rural areas and many parts of the world. This makes it hard to find places and causes problems and inefficiencies on a global scale.
That’s why we created what3words. We divided the world into 3m squares and gave each square a unique combination of three words. It’s the easiest way to find and share precise locations.
Over the last year, what3words has been used in 193 countries, and our monthly active users continue to grow at an impressive pace. Our tech is used by emergency services, delivery companies, eCommerce businesses, ride-hailing apps and NGOs, and is integrated into the navigation systems of millions of cars around the world.
We are looking for highly entrepreneurial, determined and charismatic individuals to help us achieve our mission - people who have performed outstandingly in previous roles (we don’t measure success by your former job titles but instead what you achieved in those positions) and are likely to have an accelerated career trajectory when compared against peers.
What we are looking for
Joining our growing business development team in a senior outward-facing role, you will drive forward and forge key relationships for what3words around the world.
We are looking for someone who can quickly understand clients’ pain points and match those to the solutions we can provide, being creative in finding ways to unblock deals. You will have a very good understanding of how to access key players (companies and individuals) and will use this knowledge to generate new leads across relevant industries. You’ll be able to manage a significant, complex pipeline across multiple industries and have exceptional closing skills. You will thrive under pressure and be driven to meet and exceed ambitious targets.
This role will be key in the next stage of what3words’ growth. We’re closing an increasing number of deals with major multinationals; we need a leader who will be confident handling complex commercial and technical deals, and managing operational and marketing rollouts across multiple markets. You will be personally responsible for closing multi-million revenue deals and should be comfortable leading contract negotiations with large companies. However, you’ll also do many small things along the way that support the closing of these large deals; you need to be comfortable doing outbound to strategically valuable SMEs and closing those deals in a matter of weeks while juggling a pipeline of deals that will take months/years to close.
Your primary focus will be delivering revenue through large enterprise accounts, which will call for constant creativity. The role will involve complex problem solving and innovative thinking on approaches/markets/structures.
Our sales team members need to be as comfortable doing mass outbound as negotiating with execs, and the kind of people who thrive with constant change and constant challenges.
You will also work with many colleagues across the business - in tech sales, BD and marketing especially - as your Enterprise clients implement our technology, roll it out operationally and market it to their own customers. You should be a natural collaborator who can work with diplomacy and tact internally as well as externally.
Working in this capacity at what3words is highly demanding – long hours and significant international travel (post-pandemic) will be the norm. You’ll be expected to meet challenging targets, but you’ll reap the rewards of them too, with a bonus tied to the revenue that you bring to the company, as well as share options as part of your package.
We’re building something completely new. It’s hard work but it’s also incredibly rewarding - with constant challenges and frequent change, you’ll always be stretched.
The wider team is a group of talented people from all over the world on an unprecedented journey. Every day brings new challenges and we are always learning. You will be proud to see your individual and team contributions making a real difference. This is a chance to join the team as the company’s growth is significantly accelerating.
- Experienced in closing deals, managing a pipeline and managing high-level stakeholders in client companies (e.g. CXOs, Board, investors etc.)
- Joining with a track record in opening, managing and closing deals, including revenue
- Determined to have an impact as an individual contributor
- Extremely tech-savvy (preferably you will have worked with technology, or sold a technology product)
- Able to engage immediately and confidently with senior influencers
- An exceptional relationship builder;
- A natural collaborator who enjoys working in a team with clever and ambitious colleagues
- Highly persuasive and excellent at getting things done
- Willing to embrace all aspects of working in a fast-growing business, from managing day-to-day admin to giving speeches to global audiences or pitching CXOs from some of the world’s biggest brands
- Able to excel under pressure, with meticulous attention to detail
- Able to travel regularly, including at short notice
- Motivated by challenging targets and a fast-paced office environment
- Commercially-minded and committed to global social change through business
Extra credit if you
- Have worked in an industry where what3words is highly applicable
- Speak other languages and have done business abroad or travelled widely
- Have successfully sold something completely new and revolutionary
- Have experience in management / team leadership but actively want to do an individual contributor role now
The role is based in our London HQ (at Great Western Studios - ///filled.count.soap). While you can work from the office five days a week if preferred, our Business Development team can choose to work up to two days a week from home. We also offer a six-week remote-work allowance; for up to six weeks a year, you can work from anywhere in the world (as long as you’ve got great WiFi and are happy to work on the HQ timezone).
Our business development team is made up of bright graduates, experienced team builders and outstanding salespeople. We are looking for someone dynamic who believes in our vision for change and is excited to join the company at this stage of growth. We have a culture that encourages curiosity and imagination in how we achieve our goals, and an absolute focus on building a global business.
You don’t have to have a degree or have been in higher education to apply for this role. Those with unusual career paths (including sabbaticals or time off for parenting, caring or personal development) and/or career changes are encouraged to get in touch – if you feel energised by what3words and believe your skills can help us accelerate our global growth, we want to hear from you.
Equality, diversity and inclusion at what3words
Our mission is to help everyone talk about everywhere, and we believe diverse perspectives make for a better company and better products too. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and are committed to equality and inclusivity in our hiring processes and company culture.
- Flexible working (2 days from home, 3 days in the London office)
- 6 week remote working (work from anywhere) policy
- 25 days holiday: plus the option to buy more!
- Share options
- Private health and dental insurance
- Annual health assessments
- Life insurance
- Wellbeing Days
- Yulife perks and rewards
- Generous parental leave policies
- £300 personal learning budget
- Family friendly policies
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Season ticket loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- Birthday vouchers
- Weekly lunch & learn sessions
- Office perks; free breakfast, snacks & regular team lunches
- Sports and hobbies clubs
- Dog friendly office