We are looking for an experienced, commercially oriented attorney to join our globalteam as In-house Counsel (Commercial).The position reports directly to the General Counsel, based in the US. This is a hybrid role and you will need to be able to work partially remote and partially from either our Oxford and/or London offices.
The successful candidate will work closely with colleagues in sales, business development, portfolio management and project development to provide a broad range of legal and commercial transactional support. Commercial support will involve managing the execution of transactions in both domestic and international markets, as well as clearly and concisely communicating business and legal risk analysis to colleagues, General Counsel and executive management.
- Manage all aspects of complex international project development in emerging markets, including being responsible for negotiation of associated documentation.
- Draft and negotiate a wide variety of commercial agreements, with specific focus on purchase and sale contracts for environmental attributes.
- Respond promptly and effectively to legal requests from sales, operations, management, marketing, corporate finance, and other internal clients, and advise on recommended courses of action and legal risks.
- Carry out legal research.
- Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements, policies, and legal processes.
- Assist in managing intellectual property portfolio (e.g., copyright and trademark) with assistance from outside counsel.
- Handle additional tasks and special projects as needed.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Leadership role in managing international project development, preferably in carbon or sustainable infrastructure
- Experience in emission reductions markets
- Five or more years experience drafting and negotiating complex commercial contracts
- Attention to detail, excellent ability to prioritize and multitask.
- Exceptional legal research skills, which you can use to quickly, efficiently and effectively resolve legal questions in a fast-moving and complex legal environment.
- Experience with the conventions of commodity-style contracting frameworks (e.g., master trading agreements such as ISDA).
- Curious self-starter willing to invest time to research, think and learn about our exciting and dynamic market.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, business judgment, strategic thinking and superior work ethic, dynamic and highly team oriented.
- Ability manage numerous complex projects simultaneously under tight deadline pressure.
- Superior written and verbal English language skills.
- Qualified to practice in the UK.
- Experience with data protection/privacy requirements, including GDPR and other data protection/privacy.
- Trade compliance experience.
- Experience with international commercial dispute resolution
- Additional qualification to practice in a European Union jurisdiction
- Additional language skills.
- Hybrid working
- 25 days paid holiday
- Enhanced parental leave
- In-house Carbon Academy training programme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Bonus scheme, subject tocompany and individual performance
- London: Modern, stateof the art office in Paddington, London, which is dog friendly andincludes showers, a mother's feeding room, a wellness room and baristacoffee bar.
- Oxford: Open planoffice on Magdalen Road, Oxford, which is a short distance from vibrantCowley Road. The office offers free snacks or is in walking distance of anumber of unique cafes.
- Join a 2022 Best for the World™ B Corp™, awarded in recognition of our exceptional positive impact on its customers.
- Join a profit-for-purpose business that delivers results and impact.