bit.bio is an award-winning spinout from the University of Cambridge. Our breakthrough technology combines synthetic and stem cell biology for the precise, efficient and consistent reprogramming of human cells used in research, drug discovery, and cell therapy. At bit.bio, we are passionate about engineering human cells that will enable the medicine of the future. To do this we need talented and curious people who want to make an impact on the future of science and therapeutics.
As a team of individuals, we value science, collaboration, openness, curiosity and creativity. We are united by trust and respect for each other.
Location: Babraham Research Park, Cambridge
Type: Full time, permanent /
Salary: Competitive / Hours: Full time
Office based position with flexibility for home working
Your role in our team:
We are looking for an experienced Patent Lawyer with a strong background in biotechnology, preferably including recombinant DNA technology, cell lines and cell therapies.
Reporting directly to our General Counsel, you will work with a team of scientists at the forefront of their fields. This is a key role in building a world-class IP management capability. Working globally with external patent counsel you will build and manage the bit.bio IP portfolio, effectively protecting bit.bio’s products and technologies and navigating competitive threats.
You will be responsible, in collaboration with the General Counsel and our scientific experts, for the continuous development of the bit.bio IP strategy.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Identifying and managing all associated IP risks for bit.bio
- Filing, prosecution, maintenance and defence of bit.bio’s patents portfolio
- Pro-actively identifying new inventions as well as devising and implementing global strategies for building patent portfolios
- Evaluating and monitoring patent portfolios of third parties
- Working with commercial and research teams to monitor competitive threats and identify in-licensing opportunities
- Developing and communicating IP training and guidance to bit.bio’s internal stakeholders
- Providing IP and technical analysis in support of patent litigation
- Advising on contracts relating to the in-licensing and out-licensing of bit.bio’s IP
- Managing external counsel and budget
- Are a fully qualified UK or European Patent Lawyer, with proven previous relevant experience of handling global biotechnology or pharmaceutical patent portfolios
- Are educated to Ph.D. level or equivalent, and/or several years of laboratory experience in the relevant scientific area
- Have an excellent degree or equivalent in biochemistry, genetics or biological science
- Are a solutions-oriented problem solver with determination to achieve positive outcomes for the business
With essential experience in…
- Biotech and/or pharmaceutical industry, particularly some or all of the following: biological therapeutics, genetic engineer/recombinant DNA, assays and screening, stem cells
- Patent prosecution skills and ability to independently lead patent dockets and portfolios in multiple markets and jurisdictions
- Combined in-house and law firm experience preferred
- Experience in leading external service providers
- First-hand experience of IP-related litigation
- Experience in working across cultures
More reasons to join us:
bit.bio provides a vibrant and dynamic work environment in an exciting, fast-moving time for biology. We work with cutting edge technologies and with our world-leading scientific advisory board. We conduct pioneering work with real-world impact.
We trust our people to make significant contributions early on with opportunities to be involved in projects that are key to the success and growth of our young company. We invest in people, creating opportunities for personal development in an inclusive multi-skilled team with ambitious goals that provide opportunities to learn on the job from each other.
Creativity and open minds are encouraged for everyone to contribute to the success of the company.
For information on how we will manage your data please see our Candidate Privacy Notice