Are you interested in languages, education, and technology and want to work in one of the world's fastest-growing EdTech startups? Then join us and be part of an ambitious and talented team that revolutionises how we learn languages.
Busuu is one of the top EdTech companies in the world and has won numerous awards for its innovation and impact in language learning.
Busuu’s vision is to empower everyone in the world through languages. We are the world’s largest online community for language learning, with more than 120+ million users from 190 countries, growing at up to 20,000 new users per day. We make learning a language easy by combining AI-powered courses with instant feedback from our global community of native speakers and live tutoring from qualified teachers across the world.
In January 2022, Busuu was acquired by one of the largest EdTech companies in the world, Chegg (NYSE:CHGG). Being part of Chegg will help us to accelerate our growth and achieve our vision even faster.
If you are passionate about languages, want to work with smart, creative, energetic people, and possess the initiative, confidence, and good judgment to make independent decisions every day - then you are probably the perfect addition for our growing team.
What does a Senior Fullstack Engineer do at Busuu?
As a Senior Full Stack Engineer you will be working on a new and exciting initiative at Busuu. You will work on features from ideation, implementation, and release collaborating with all departments of the company. Once released to users your work will be seen by millions and from there you will measure, evaluate, and evolve what you just released. You will be writing TypeScript on the front-end with React, on the backend you will be working on Node.js in a high throughput environment.
The backend is structured as small microservices orchestrated by Kubernetes while the front is made using Next.js, composed out of small reusable and tested components. We use GraphQL to connect front and back. This allows us to move fast and independent of others' work and to test out new and exciting initiatives.
You will ship often (daily) without sacrificing the quality of code. You’ll feel confident about said quality through extensive use of automated testing. You’ll collaborate extensively with the other engineers on the team. We are a team of experienced developers that rely heavily on data to make decisions about where to go next. We strive to write simple and readable code while still developing highly scalable systems.
What make a great Senior Fullstack Engineer at Busuu
- Strong knowledge of ES5 and ES6
- Extensive experience and understanding of the React ecosystem. Next.js is a plus
- Experience with writing performant and scalable services using Node.js. Solid understanding of how to model and architect backend services and requirements. NestJS is a plus
- Experience with testing methodology using Jest, Mocha, or similar
- Strong knowledge of HTML Semantic and CSS
- A big plus for exposure to GraphQL frameworks such as Apollo or Relay
- Exposure with NoSQL databases such as MongoDB
- Exposure to orchestration system such as Kubernetes
- Experience in building complex layouts and working with responsive applications
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations
- Demonstrated design and UX sensibilities
Being a part of Busuu - How do things work:
We are acutely aware that we are in unprecedented times and like all companies we need to adapt to this in order to safeguard our Busuu community. In order to do this we are constantly reviewing the government guidelines and adapting accordingly to accommodate the physical and mental wellbeing of our employees. In the current global climate, some of our team events are virtual and some of our benefits have been amended.
At Busuu we want to ensure that you have access to some great benefits:
- We have an amazing office which is available for you to work from if you would like to do so, this is completely optional at the moment in the current environment. If you would like to be in the office we have put in place lots of important social distancing practices to ensure you are safe to meet with your colleagues in person
- The office is well-equipped with free breakfast, plenty of snacks, fresh fruit and free dinner of your choice if you need to stay late
- Social interaction is really important to us so we have lots of remote activities for you to join into such as team events, socials, online weekly quiz, etc
- There is a personal training budget just for you, so you can learn more in your field, attend virtual conferences and events that you find interesting
- To keep you active and help your mindfulness we offer weekly virtual yoga sessions
- Busuu offers a great private health insurance scheme
- We like to support our teams with their work life balance so we offer flexible working hours
- Flexible remuneration applied to transport and restaurants through Flexoh platform
What happens next
We aim to have a simple and speedy hiring process and we want to make sure that we are right for you as much as the other way around. The hiring process for Senior Fullstack Engineer is the following steps:
- CV application review - We will review it as quickly as possible
- Let’s chat - Quick chat with our recruiter about your experience and the role
- Culture fit interview - On-site or video call with the Engineering Manager
- Technical questions - Technical call with the team
- Technical test - We will send you a technical test to complete in your time
- Coding review - Technical interview and task review with the team
Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. We pride ourselves on embracing our differences, whether they're cultural, racial, religious or otherwise. This means each one of us comes to work knowing that we have a voice – and a safe, judgment-free zone to speak freely.
If you like the sound of that, join us. We'd love to hear what you have to say.