Joining Busuu means being part of one of the top EdTech companies in the world, a multiple award-winner recognised for its innovation and impact in language learning.
Busuu’s vision is to empower people through languages. We are the world’s largest online community for language learning, with 120+ million registered users. We make learning a language easy by combining AI-powered courses with feedback from our global community of native speakers and lesson content designed for real life.
Busuu is part of the global Chegg family. Chegg is the leading student-first connected learning platform and a NYSE listed company.
What does a Backend Engineer do at Busuu?
You’ll have the opportunity to be at the centre of our biggest and most exciting phase yet, making big decisions that will help you grow and define your career as a Software Engineer. You’ll design and implement software solutions with reusable and testable that will have direct impact in the core of our business.
You’ll be learning fast through different initiatives (guilds, reading clubs, learning together meetings, personal learning budget), and keeping up with the latest industry standards.
Our Tech Stack
- Our projects are built on a distributed platform composed of different API services.
- Some backend services are built with PHP 7 and Symfony, while others are built with NodeJS with TS.
- Services are built following best coding standards and design patterns such as hexagonal architecture, CQRS and Domain Driven Design (with an event-driven architecture).
What we’re looking for in a Backend Engineer
- Ability to community effectively in English
- Expert knowledge and experience in object-oriented programming. Specific knowledge in PHP or NodeJS is a plus.
- Proficient in data modelling and performance optimisation using relational databases.
- Good understanding of API design, RESTFul or gRPC, SOLID principles. Experience with queuing systems and event-driven architecture is a plus.
- Experience with testing methodologies.
- Experience in defining the whole process of development, from initial design to deployment and support.
- Familiar with agile frameworks as scrum, kanban or XP.
- Desire to learn.
At Busuu, we want to ensure that you have access to some great benefits:
- Our centrally located offices are well-equipped with free breakfast, plenty of snacks, fresh fruit, and free dinner of your choice if you need to stay late
- Busuu offers a great Private Health Insurance scheme
- There is a personal training budget just for you, so you can learn more in your field to ensure our employees can continuously grow and progress in their careers
- We like to support our teams with their work-life balance so we offer flexible working hours and a hybrid model of working
- We offer enhanced maternity and paternity leave
- Staying connected as a team is very important to us, so we have lots of social activities for you to join such as team lunches, Friday socials, quarterly team, and company events
What happens next
We aim to have a simple and speedy hiring process and we want to make sure that we are right for you as much as the other way around. The hiring process for a Backend Engineer has the following steps:
- CV application review - We will review it as quickly as possible
- Let’s chat - Quick chat with our recruiter about your experience and the role
- Culture fit interview - On-site or video call with the Engineering Manager
- Technical questions - Technical call with the Backend team
- Technical test - We will send you a technical test to complete in your time
- Coding review - Technical interview and task review with the Backend team
Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. We pride ourselves on embracing our differences, whether they're cultural, racial, religious or otherwise. This means each one of us comes to work knowing that we have a voice – and a safe, judgement-free zone to speak freely.
If you like the sound of that, join us. We'd love to hear what you have to say.