Life at Elvie; Meaningful work, Exceptional People
We're Elvie. We create smart products, new solutions, and a fair few taboo-busting conversations while we’re at it. Founded by Tania Boler in 2013, we develop extraordinary innovations designed to improve women’s lives. It's a fascinating and challenging area that requires us to solve problems that no one else has ever tackled before.
At Elvie, you’ll be surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them. People who are passionate about our mission. People who are driven to solve problems and constantly consider the best ways to improve the health and wellbeing of women.
Find out more about life at Elvie here.
We're deeply proud of our values, which are intrinsic to the way we behave every day. We take them seriously because we want our culture to thrive:
- We make an impact: We’re mission-driven and not afraid to break boundaries. We relentlessly focus on going the extra mile to solve problems.
- We’re fearless innovators: We are passionate, curious, and data-driven. We continuously embrace change and innovation.
- We’re in it together: we fail and learn fast — always as one team — and have fun along the way. We stay authentic and embrace our differences.
Did you know?
In some regions our amazing products are considered to be medical devices. This means we maintain our Medical Device quality management system in compliance with ISO 13485:2016, to support the development of our groundbreaking products
About the role
Okay, we’ve waffled long enough. So let’s get to the good bit: You.
As a Software Engineer, you will be building and maintaining functionality for our product websites, concentrating on frontend but also with exposure to backend systems and ecommerce capabilities. You will be working in a cross-functional team where you will contribute ideas and implement solutions to improve existing functionality as well as creating new features. You will be in an environment where developing first-class solutions in an enjoyable and rewarding atmosphere is the goal.
Location: Hybrid working; a mix of working from our Bristol or London offices & working remotely
Employment type: Permanent (please note, you must have the right to work in the UK)
What you’ll be doing at Elvie
- You will support every aspect of our web presence
- You’ll be developing product showcases and ecommerce functionality, as an extensive customer care and support reference centre, as well as helping with various integrations.
- You will develop better tools to enable other content publishers to get their ideas online in new and beautiful ways
- Troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Using a quality driven approach to ensure reliable and robust code.
- Developing and maintaining integrations with 3rd party systems.
- Pairing on all aspects of the development process
- Working closely with others in an agile environment.
What we are looking for:
- Ideally at least 3 years experience as a Software Engineer/Developer
- Strong experience of front-end frameworks such as VueJS, and package management tools
- Solid understanding of Laravel and Object Oriented Programming concepts and patterns
- Experience of working with Content Management Systems.
- Good understanding of PHP and relational databases (preferably MySQL)
- Familiarity of version control and workflows, such as Git
- Excellent problem solving skills and passion to learn
- Strong communication skills and critical thinking ability - you can make a strong case and reason it well, but still be open to other ideas
Other desirable qualities
- An eye for user experience and design
- Understanding of Agile methodologies (such as SCRUM)
- Experience of working in cross functional teams
- Experience in building ecommerce solutions
We're on an exceptional journey. And we can offer you a genuinely purpose-led career with a culture built on trust, autonomy, and flexibility. In addition, we'll give you:
- Lots of flexibility: whether it’s working from home, doing the school run, or life admin, we understand that flexibility is essential, and we trust you to do the right thing for you and us
- Share options: we want everyone to have a stake in our success
- An annual discretionary bonus scheme
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays
- 8 extra life leave days; getting married, moving house, menopause or just things that you can’t put a label on that matter to you
- 5=10 leave: 10 days’ additional leave on your 5th and 10th years of service!
- £100 contribution to your home working set up to spend as you see fit
- An annual personal development allowance of £200 and unlimited access to our learning and development platform, Learnerbly
- Generous parental leave policies; maternity & adoption (16 weeks at full pay, then 8 weeks paid at 75% followed by 15 weeks at SMP rate.), paternity/partner (6 weeks at full pay to take at any point during the first year of your child’s life), shared parental leave
- Healthcare plans, life insurance, and an employee assistance program for you and your family
- A tax-efficient group pension scheme
- Group income protection; protect your salary if you get sick
- A free Elvie trainer for you to keep or give away when you join
- Generous employee and friends & family discounts on Elvie products
- Wellbeing support from YuLife and access to SmartHealth app with unlimited GP appointments for you and your family, plus various well-being initiatives throughout the year
- Lovely offices in great locations, with drinks and snacks provided, along with fun social events
What you can expect after you’ve applied:
A member of our recruitment team will reach out to you after they have reviewed your application. You must ensure your application is completed correctly, and we strongly encourage you to add a cover letter or note to let us know why Elvie’s the right fit for you.
We would like to get to know you through your background, attitude, experience and understand your motivation to work with us. Our interview process varies depending on the position, but it typically looks like this:
- 20-minute video call with one of our recruiters
- 30-45 minute video call with the hiring manager
- 45-60 minute video interview with the team (some positions may require you to complete a task/presentation)
- For some positions, there may be an additional interview with one of senior our leadership team
This is an exciting time to join Elvie. You’ll have a voice, make an impact, and have the opportunity to mould your role. So be ready to learn, have fun, and be inspired by our passionate, talented team — and having a sense of humour helps too. 😉
Belonging at Elvie
At Elvie, we believe having diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply and we don't discriminate based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, marital status, disability or age.
If you need any support with your application, please get in contact with us: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0203 884 7223.