Joining Busuu means being part of one of the top EdTech companies in the world, a multiple award-winner recognised for its innovation and impact on language learning.
Busuu’s vision is to empower people through languages. We are the world’s largest online community for language learning, with 120+ million registered users. We make learning a language easy by combining AI-powered courses with feedback from our global community of native speakers and lesson content designed for real life.
Busuu is part of the global Chegg family. Chegg is the leading student-first connected learning platform and a NYSE listed company.
What does a Data Engineer do at Busuu?
Working at that scale is not always an easy task, and we know that there are challenges ahead, so we are looking for someone who wants to become a better version of themselves and master the challenge together with us. We want to grow not only into new markets but also with new features and tools for our social network.
We are looking for passionate people who honestly love solving problems, by questioning the status quo and are eager to build a legacy with Busuu.
As a Data-Engineer we have great things to come into your area of responsibilities.
You will work to build the pipelines to collect data to help the business intelligence team to generate insights that help millions of people achieve their language learning goals. You will participate in enhancing our big data environment, currently at 10s of millions of events per day, with cutting-edge tools. Will be important to understand and know the main business KPIs of the business layer.
You will work with other Platform Engineering Members in building scalable RT services, which will operate across different Data Centers. In such an environment Data Quality is key and you will work in TML Cycle to improve on it. Constant exchange with PMs, DS, and DAs to understand their data needs will help you to take architectural decisions for our data lake.
At Busuu you will become part of a fast-growing and rapidly innovating company with a strong mission and values.
What makes an amazing Data Platform Engineer at Busuu
- Strong knowledge of SQL
- Proficiency in Python
- BI tools expertise such as Tableau/Looker
- Query optimisation for distributed/analytical databases like Redshift, Google BigQuery, Vertica, Greenplum
- Streaming data technologies like Kinesis, Kafka, and Dataflow
- Data pipeline tools like Airflow/Luigi
- Docker understanding
- Data modelling and data warehouse design
- Ability to work outside your comfort zone, take a problem, and solve it with as much or as little support as you need.
At Busuu we want to ensure that you have access to some great benefits:
- Our centrally located offices are well-equipped with free breakfast, plenty of snacks, fresh fruit, and free dinner of your choice if you need to stay late
- Busuu offers a great Private Health Insurance scheme
- There is a personal training budget just for you, so you can learn more in your field to ensure our employees can continuously grow and progress in their careers
- We like to support our teams with their work-life balance so we offer flexible working hours and a hybrid model of working
- We offer enhanced maternity and paternity leave
- Staying connected as a team is very important to us, so we have lots of social activities for you to join such as team lunches, Friday socials, quarterly team, and company events
What happens next
We aim to have a simple and speedy hiring process and we want to make sure that we are right for you as much as the other way around. The hiring process for a Data Engineer has the following steps:
- CV application review - We will review it as quickly as possible
- Let’s chat - Quick chat with our recruiter about your experience and the role
- Culture fit interview - On-site or video call with the Engineering Manager
- Technical questions - Technical call with the team
- Technical test - We will send you a technical test to complete in your time
- Coding review - Technical interview and task review with the team
Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. We pride ourselves on embracing our differences, whether they're cultural, racial, religious or otherwise. This means each one of us comes to work knowing that we have a voice – and a safe, judgement-free zone to speak freely.
If you like the sound of that, join us. We'd love to hear what you have to say.