Chess.com is one of the largest gaming sites in the world and the #1 platform for playing, learning, and enjoying chess.
We are a team of 600+ fully remote people in 60+ countries working hard to serve the global chess community. We are here to support 100M+ chess players worldwide with the best possible product, content, and tools to serve the community!
We are a tech company. A gaming company. A content company. And we do it all with passion and commitment to the game. Above all we prize our mission-driven, flat, life-celebrating, no-corporate culture, and we look forward to meeting you and learning more about what you can bring to the team.
You are an experienced software architect and have designed and deployed distributed systems into production. You understand how to scale applications, including performance tuning, relational database modeling and data access patterns, caching, logging, monitoring, alerting, and urgent response. You love to build for and support engineers as customers and you understand how to design libraries and tools that make everyone’s life simpler and easier.
You are humble with a sense of humor and don’t take yourself too seriously. You have been working in or dreamed of working in the gaming industry and are ready to turn your talents towards chess!
What You’ll Do
Work with a small team of highly experienced engineers on creating new, highly scalable services or help scale existing codebase and storage for a global top 200 website. Contribute to technology, architecture, workﬂow, and design decisions.
- Experience with large data sets
- Experienced engineer who can adapt to ever changing needs
- Excellent understanding of software design and architectural patterns
- Multidisciplinary - familiar with many application stacks
- PHP and Java experience
- Experience with Kafka
- Experience with Redis
- Experience with MySQL
- Experience with Mongo
- Experience working with Cloud
- Experience with SQL schema design and query optimization
- Experience with command line and Unix systems
- Experience working with a fully distributed team
- Sense of ownership and responsibility
About the Opportunity
- This is a full-time or equivalent position
- We are 100% remote (work from anywhere!)
- This is open to applicants from anywhere!
You can learn more about us here:
We look forward to meeting you!