Zepz is the group powering two leading global remittance brands: WorldRemit and Sendwave. Since 2010, we have been disrupting an industry previously dominated by offline legacy players with our relentless focus to reduce the cost of remittances and increase safety and convenience for our users. Every day, our people work to unlock the prosperity of cross-border communities through finance and technology - driven by our vision of a world that celebrates migrants’ impact on prosperity, at home and abroad.
Our brands helped cross-border communities send over $15bn from 50 countries to recipients in 130 countries in 2022. We operate over 5,000 money transfer corridors worldwide and employ over 1,600 people globally. Zepz is a remote-first employer, with team members located across six continents.
Our vision is to create a world that celebrates migrants’ impact on prosperity, at home and abroad. Our purpose is to unlock the prosperity of cross-border communities through finance and technology.
- We act like owners - We are relentlessly delivering for our users and spending money thoughtfully.
- We embrace embarrassing honesty - We function best when we're open and honest with one another — especially about our challenges and doubts.
- We have a bias to action - We get to first outcomes quickly, iterate and learn.
- We strive to be better - We may make mistakes, but always learn from them.
- We are inclusive - to better reflect and serve our users.
About the role
We are looking for a lawyer to join our high performing Legal, Company Secretariat and Privacy Team on a 6 month fixed-term contract. The role will be UK based, but will support our global business. It is a highly visible role and so offers excellent exposure to a number of departments within the company as well as strong growth and development opportunities.
As a member of Zepz’s Legal team you will aim high, embrace challenge and always do what’s right; acting with integrity and building trust as you contribute to the company’s technical direction and long term decision making.
Reporting to the Associate General Counsel, you will:
- From time to time, and depending on your experience, be heavily involved in a breadth of project work that may include:
- commercial contracting work - drafting; negotiating and advising on contracts related to the payments ecosystem and payment institutions;
- advising on regulatory matters and issues that arise from our operation as a money transfer business, including the regulatory constraints in which the business operates, product launches, country launches and licensing as well as liaising with regulators in various jurisdictions, including the UK, Belgium, Australia and South Africa to obtain various consents and approvals;
- managing customer services issues, including day-to-day complaints management and referrals to the Financial Ombudsman Service as well as litigation; and/or
- advising on transactional and other strategic projects including drafting intra-group agreements and other contracts to support group restructuring and M&A so that the business can move forward at pace, while protecting our interests.
- Address general or ad-hoc legal queries from business stakeholders and other team members including in respect of intellectual property and day to day corporate work;
- Keep abreast of regulatory developments in the payments/e-money financial services industry and assessing the impact of these developments on the business;
- Work closely with the Global Compliance Team and Risk & Assurance Team to ensure the company operates within a robust regulatory and compliance framework;
- Help develop appropriate legal templates and processes and actively work to collaboratively align the legal objective and business objectives;
- Assist with the know-how, professional development and training needs of the Legal team including help develop appropriate legal templates and processes and support more junior members of the team;
- Liaise with multiple stakeholders, both internally and externally to Zepz, and so must be able to communicate confidently and effectively and have excellent stakeholder management skills; and
- Actively work to align the legal objectives and business objectives collaboratively.
What we’re looking for from you
- A qualified lawyer with at least 5+ years PQE;
- Excellent technical skills: demonstrated ability to draft clear, professional and legally robust correspondence, advice, contracts, policies and other documentation as required, with appropriate form and style;
- Recent experience of working with businesses in the Payments/Financial Services sector and awareness and knowledge of the external business environment relevant to Zepz;
- Experience of applying regulations relevant to financial services and payment institutions (FinCrime, PDS2, EMR) and/or handling general commercial legal matters and/or experience in leading corporate or banking transactions - each with supervision;
- Experience negotiating complex commercial contracts and ability to influence and persuade in decision-making processes both internally and externally;
- A commercial mindset and ability to think creatively to achieve the commercial objectives of the business and to deliver legal advice in the appropriate commercial and regulatory context and within tight timeframes;
- First class interpersonal and communication skills: able to, and enjoy, building and maintaining good relationships both internally and externally at all levels;
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and juggling multiple priorities; and
- Ability to work independently, but also a team player: fostering knowledge sharing and being prepared to be involved in the day-to-day.
What we offer you:
Please note that the benefits below do not apply to part-time, contractor or temporary roles.
We have five core benefits for our talent in the US, UK, Philippines, Poland, and South Africa. If you're not in one of those regions, don’t worry - the Talent team can let you know what is available for you specifically:
Unlimited Annual Leave: Most Zepz team members are eligible for unlimited annual leave. Colleagues in customer-facing roles, receive a competitive holiday allowance and four recharge days a year. Feel free to make the most of your time off and maintain a healthy work-life balance!
Private Medical Cover: You can opt-in to a Private Medical Insurance scheme. This provides you with access to thorough medical coverage, so you can feel confident in your health and well-being.
Retirement: We offer pension schemes to help you plan for and secure your future.
Life Assurance: Life assurance is available to give you peace of mind and protect your loved ones in case of the unexpected..
Parental Leave: We offer competitive parental leave schemes to ensure you are spending as much quality time with your new bundle of joy as possible.
We are also remote-first as an organisation, offering flexibility for you to work where you need to be most productive. In many locations, we have workspaces, which you can use as you desire.
Most roles in the Philippines are predominately office-based, with this we offer free meals for those 100% on-site.
In addition to the above, you will discover that we have a range of secondary perks (such as the cycle-to-work scheme and employee discounts) depending on your location, to help you thrive at Zepz!
Why choose Zepz?
Our team of over 1600+ employees is fully distributed across the world. We are working from coffee shops, homes, and co-working spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world but we also offer workspace in our talent cluster locations - spaces we can meet, collaborate and connect.
We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, band members, yoga teachers, YouTube influencers, former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, Wolof, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish.
At Zepz, embodying our commitments binds us together. We are collectively passionate about striving to achieve our vision and purpose - to continue to provide the best service to our users.
Ready to apply?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume along with a cover letter (optional), highlighting why your experience demonstrates you meet the requirements of the role. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization. While Zepz supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
At Zepz we record interviews using Metaview (https://metaview.ai). It helps us become better interviewers by recording and transcribing our interviews, and ensures we interview candidates in a fair & consistent manner. It is not required. Please let us know if you’d like to opt out of the use of Metaview - this will not affect the outcome of your interview.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Zepz is a place where everyone can thrive.
So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, and if at all you might need any form of support to make the process as comfortable as possible, please let us know and give us a shot by applying. We want you to be excited to wake up to make an impact every day.