South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
South Pole is looking for an Associate Consultant to strengthen our team in Latin America and play two key roles: preparation of proposals and contribute to regional consultancy assignments. As an Associate Consultant, you will support the know-how of the unit and other teams within South Pole and promote the company as a thought leader in carbon markets. You will also ensure the timely delivery of high-quality consultancy assignments to regional, and local clients.
You will be responsible for developing proposals on climate change policies and carbon markets, and projects implementation. In this role, you will contribute to supporting small to medium size consulting mandates and manage small projects yourself.
Short-listed candidates will have a good understanding of global and regional climate policy.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Support with the preparation and completion of proposals and deliverables for corporate and public sector clients on topics such as climate change policies, climate finance and carbon markets, including both technical and administrative requirements, to the level of quality required by South Pole and the client
- Manage projects and coordinate with client and collaborators
- Analyse and compile carbon market data and climate policy information for internal and external purposes
- Liaise with other teams to gather information and insights related to climate policy, finance and carbon markets
- Support business development activities through desktop research and developing materials to be shared with possible clients and partners
- Support with the development and improvement of specialised skills, tools and knowledge linked to the topics and services offered by South Pole. Topics of engagement may include carbon pricing, market-based instruments, including Article 6 of the Paris Agreement, CORSIA, Voluntary Carbon Market, climate policy implementation and financing, and offsetting procurement strategies
- University degree, ideally in Environmental Sciences, International Development, Public Policy, Engineering, Finance, Economics or related disciplines
- Relevant work experience working in the field of climate change or sustainability, including internships
- Ability to conduct research tasks and analyse and summarise data
- Ability to manage projects in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context
- Good writing skills, with the ability to contribute to high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables)
- Good communication and collaboration skills with clients, team members and other relevant stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
- Demonstrated interest in working on climate change mitigation projects, programmes or instruments across sectors, technologies and countries
- Master’s degree will be an advantage
- Analytical skills and mindset
- Good working knowledge of all Google Suite applications, MS Word and MS Excel
- Diligent, detail-oriented, reliable and proactive
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced, international environment
- Good prioritisation and time management skills
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.