About UN University (UNU)
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in policy-oriented research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge, furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. UNU’s mission is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
For the past four decades, United Nations University (UNU) has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on human survival, conflict prevention, sustainable development and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 12 countries, UNU’s work spans the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
About Institute (UNU-EGOV)
The United Nations University Operating Unit onPolicy-Driven Electronic Governance (UNU-EGOV), based in the cityof Guimarães, north of Portugal, is one of 14 research and trainingInstitutes and Units that comprise the UNU system.Themission of UNU-EGOV is to support the Member States of the United Nations intransforming the mechanisms of governance and building effective governancecapabilities through strategic applications of Information and CommunicationTechnologies (ICT) to contribute to sustainable development, social inclusionand active citizenship. As a think tank and research unit, UNU-GOV combinesboth classical research and consultancy projects.
In fulfillment of its purpose UNU-EGOV:
•carries out policy-relevant research;
•translates research findings into relevant policy instruments;
•builds capacity in localizing and applying such instrumentswithin and among governments clients and partners within the UN system,academic and other relevant organizations;
•builds and maintains research and policy networks to share thelessons learnt, foster mutual learning, and bridge research and policyworlds; and
•monitors, evaluates and disseminates the latest developmentsin the area.
The UNU-EGOV Core Research Programme 2020-2024 isdedicated to the theme of “Governance and digital transformation forinclusive, resilient and sustainable societies”. It aims to consolidate and exploit the existing knowledge as well asto explore new learning to reach inclusion, development, sustainability andsecurity worldwide.
Furthermore, it investigates the currentand new digital governance challenges for a resilient society.
Research topics approached in the CoreResearch Programme include:
- Governance models and strategies fordigital transformation of the public sector and society at large;
- Smart and sustainable cities andcommunities;
- Standards and regulatory issues relatedto interoperability, usability, data and privacy protection;
- Technology-enabled innovation includingmodels, capacities and specific emerging concepts and technologies;
- Big data and AI including data capture,maintenance and data exchange;
- Technological service delivery,administrative burden reduction and anti-corruption, etc.
For more information, please visit http://egov.unu.edu.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Director of UNU-EGOV, the Senior Analyst Outreach and Programme Development ensures the execution of the following attributions:
1. Contribute to the implementation of the Core Research Programme:
- Developing the presentation of the UNU-EGOVprogramme, projects overview and/or results.
- Liaise with researchers throughout the programmelife cycle so that key projects are delivered on time, within the scopeand budget, including monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL).
- Support the development and/or organisation ofproject activities.
- Support the development and/or review of project outputs/deliverables.
- Take high-level responsibilities in the organizationof workshops or other events related to the UNU-EGOV Programme.
- Undertake statistical, and other analyses, andsynthesize key findings.
2. Lead the UNU-EGOV business development efforts:
- Conduct business development activities bypartnering with Administration and Researchers to plan, identify, develop,and submit different kinds of project/initiative proposals, andcollaborations, as part of the Unit’s outreach effort.
- Develop guidance materials and raise awareness internallyon project-related guidelines, policies, and rules applicable to UNU-EGOV.
- Working closely with researchers on the knowledge managementprocess, standard operating procedures, and other compliance requirementsof beneficiaries.
- Establish networking contacts and identifyopportunities for joint collaborations with high-reputed academic andgovernmental institutions as well as other think tanks, NGOs, andinternational organizations.
3. Focal point for outreach and project proposals:
- Provide guidance and coordinate the input from researchers of distinct research lines to prepare research project proposals.
- Create and maintain a database of outreachinitiatives, including the collection of data and a summary of findingsregarding submissions as well as a list of potential beneficiaries,details about project proposals, key websites to search for beneficiaries,and other relevant documents.
4. Communicate projects and research accomplishments:
- Support communications and dissemination activitiesfor UNU-EGOV’s target audiences and beneficiaries.
- Contribute to increasing the impact of UNU-EGOVresearch projects by developing knowledge products with results such asconcept notes, policy briefs, blogs, reports, and academic papers.
- Update and introduce improvements to the projectportfolio.
- Liaise with the UNU-EGOV communications team inproviding outputs for social media and other platforms.
5. Perform other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
Key performance indicators
- Effective and efficient UNU-EGOV programme management throughout the life cycle.
- Timely and quality development, management, implementation and reporting of projects, activities, and deliverables.
- Effective and efficient coordination of fundraising activities.
- Quality and level of engagement with all partners, including a strong commitment level to contribute to UNU-EGOV being perceived as a reliable and trustworthy partner by research partners, governments, donors, and civil society.
- Inclusion — take action to create an environment of dignity and respect for all, regardless of age, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, geography, grade, language, nationality, racial identity, religion, sex, sex characteristics, sexual orientation, social origin or any other aspect of identity
- Integrity — act ethically, demonstrating the standards of conduct of the United Nations and taking prompt action in case of witnessing unprofessional or unethical behaviour, or any other breach of UN standards
- Humility — demonstrate self-awareness and willingness to learn from others
- Humanity — act according to the purposes of the United Nations: peace, dignity and equality on a healthy planet
- Connect and collaborate — build positive relationships with others to advance the work of the United Nations and work coherently as One UN
- Analyse and plan — seek out and use data from a wide range of sources to understand problems, inform decision-making, propose evidence-based solutions and plan action
- Deliver results with positive impact — hold oneself and others accountable for delivering results and making a positive difference to the people and causes that the United Nations serves
- Learn and develop — pursue own learning and development and contribute to the learning and development of others
- Adapt and innovate — demonstrate flexibility, agility and the ability to think and act in novel ways
Completed doctoral degree (PhD) or master degree in Informatics, Information Systems, Public Administration, Public Policy, Development Management, Economics, Communication Sciences, Sociology, Law, or another field related to the position.
- PhD with 6 years or Master with 10 years of progressively responsible experience in programme development, project management, research and consulting in an academic, think-tank or international organization, preferably in areas related to EGOV’s areas of work such as digital transformation, and modernization and innovation of governments and public institutions.
- Professional experience in the management of government and/or multilateral funding, grants and/or contracts within the UN system.
- Professional experience in business development, including drafting proposal narratives and budgets for new awards and calls for proposals.
- Proven project experience in EGOV’s areas of work.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Experience in liaising with donors and international implementation partners from different countries is a significant
- Understanding of digital governance, digital transformation, modernization and innovation of governments and public institutions, e-participation, smart communities, sustainable development, or strategic planning.
- A proven ability to work flexibly on a range of assignments, adjust to changes in schedule and priorities, and juggle concurrent tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work harmoniously in multicultural and multi-ethnical environments.
- Other desirable skills: Initiative, strong conceptual abilities, sound judgment, resilience, teamwork, and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of another UN official working language is an asset.
The successful candidate will be employed under an international PSA contract. UNU offers an attractive (tax-exempt in Portugal) compensation package, including an annual net salary at (IP)PSA2 level starting at EUR 38,800,
commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the candidate.
Benefits include 30 days of annual leave and a health insurance scheme.
In addition, for relocated candidates, UNU-EGOV will provide:
- Accommodation in Guimarães upon payment of a monthly rental cost of EUR 400 plus utility bills (subject to availability);
- Travel in/out: cost of travel of the individual to the duty station, as well as their return to their home upon completion of their services. Travel costs are covered only if the function will be undertaken physically in the duty station and excludes working from home arrangements.
Duration of contract
The duration of the initial contract is 1 year. This is Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU, with the possibility for renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance. The combined duration on a PSA contract with UNU may not exceed six (6) years. The mandatory age of retirement for PSA holders is 65 years.
Expected start date: As soon as possible.
How to Apply:
To apply to UNU, you will not need an account. Instead, we ask that you:
- Apply via the apply link;
- fill out the UNU P11 form (please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations);
- provide a motivation statement (in section 23 of the P11 form); and
- answer a few questions that are tailored to the position.
You may wish to refer to the UN Values and Behaviours Framework for more information.
Application Deadline: 13 March 2023
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview, background checks and references.
PSA holders do no hold international civil servant status nor are they considered a “staff member” as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization. Applications from developing countries, and from women are strongly encouraged. Eligible internal applicants are also encouraged to apply.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Information about UNU rosters
UNU reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement.We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNU.
UNU does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.