We are looking for an experienced HR professional to join the Targeted Provision team as our Head of People on a permanent and hybrid basis, managing the growth and nurturing of our team of individuals dedicated to supporting the UK’s vulnerable young people.
At Targeted Provision our mission is to raise the standard of educational support offered to vulnerable young people in the UK.
We work with schools and local authorities to provide specialist tutors and mentors for children and young people with additional educational needs.
We also support mentoring and engagement / re-engagement for young people in need of Alternative Provision. We believe that with the right support and role model in their lives, every child can grow in confidence and succeed in learning.
Our culture of team growth and development is person-centred and ethos-led, ensuring that every member of the company is aligned with our mission and can deliver the best outcomes for the children and young people we support.
What we can offer you:
- £40,000 - £45,000p/a
- 32 days p/a annual leave
- The flexibility of a hybrid role
- A company pension with matched contributions
- Termly company events with the wider Targeted Provision Team
- Extensive CPD and upskilling opportunities
- A place within a team of child-centred individuals committed to transforming the world of support for vulnerable young people for the better.
- Working within a dynamic Senior Leadership Team and the opportunity to take a leading role in shaping the growth of an ambitious early-stage company.
We are excited to offer this extensive benefits package to ensure we can work with the most impact-led individuals the UK has to offer!
We are looking for someone to lead in the hiring and onboarding, employee development and management, and People processes and strategy areas of Targeted Provision.
Hiring and onboarding:
- Oversee the hiring process by understanding our line managers’ hiring needs, developing a hiring strategy with the CEO, reviewing applications, conducting initial interviews, agreeing terms of employment, and issuing offers of employment
- Manage the onboarding process by adding new hires to our HR platform, producing their onboarding schedule, and leading on training in company culture
People development and management:
- Have oversight of employee happiness and retention, regularly checking in with individuals across the company to understand their motivations, areas of interest, areas of concern, and current sense of fulfilment in their role
- Advise line managers and senior management on employee needs, interests, and concerns as appropriate and assist in ensuring these are responded to proactively and empathetically
- Work alongside line managers to develop progression plans for employees to ensure that their skill sets are best utilised, they feel fulfilment in their role, satisfaction with their salary, and they are working best to meet business needs
- Where necessary, attend and document any grievances and disciplinary meetings, advise on appropriate outcomes, and ensure these outcomes are actioned
- Manage holiday requests and the holiday calendar to ensure we have sufficient team capacity at all times
- Track and update payroll changes
- Respond to SSP and SMP requests
People processes and strategy:
- Advise on updates to all People related policies as appropriate
- Lead on compensation strategies to ensure salary reviews match performance and facilitate employee retention, while remaining in line with budgets and ensuring an equity of salaries at all levels of the company
- Oversee our employee development strategy by managing our progression and promotion structures so that it is clear, consistent, scaleable, and ongoingly aligned with business need
- Develop our culture to ongoingly ensure employee happiness and retention in line with our wider company ethos and mission
- Improve our onboarding process to best introduce new starters to their role, the world of additional needs support, and our company culture
- Improve our performance review structure and wider framework for evaluating performance and providing feedback
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about our mission to improve the lives of the UK’s vulnerable learners, and is eager to work within our dedicated Senior Leadership Team in a child-centred and impact-led way to further our growth and achieve our mission.
- CIPD Level 7 / be able to demonstrate equivalent HR Leadership experience
- Intimate and up-to-date knowledge of People best practice, employment law, and compliance practices and policies
- Experience leading on People processes and strategy
- Experience working in a small and fast-paced team
- Demonstrable interest and commitment to changing the lives of vulnerable young people.
- Excellent organisation and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Previous Start-Up experience
- Leadership experience in an early-stage company
- Experience with CharlieHR
- Experience using Trello, Airtable, Front or similar CRMs
- Understanding of the education sector in the UK
We look forward to receiving your CV, outlining your relevant skills and experience that can help make a difference.
It is a strict requirement that you have the ability to work in a way that promotes the health, safety and wellbeing of children and young people and follow safeguarding policies and procedures at all times. We take Safer Recruitment seriously and only those candidates who are able to demonstrate their ability to safeguard the safety and wellbeing of children and young people will be considered for this role.
We are keen to hear from candidates from all backgrounds. The over 2 million vulnerable children in the UK are disproportionately constituted of minority and LGBTQIA+ communities, as well as people with disabilities, refugees and migrants, and people living with mental health conditions. It is integral to our mission of raising the standard of support for the UK's vulnerable learners that we engage individuals from all backgrounds so that our team can better share/relate to the experiences of our students.
Applications are being considered on a rolling basis.