South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Corporate Functions team is the “enablement engine” of South Pole. Behind the scenes, we provide the business with world-class solutions and best practices that sustain business growth and success. We cover key areas such as Finance, HR, Office Management, Legal, IT, Operations, etc. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
South Pole is a fast growing global climate leader offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities. We develop and finance projects in 50+ countries to reduce CO2 emissions and help 3000+ large companies to decarbonise their operations and supply chains with an intention to evolve into the leading platform for the pathway to net zero.
However, South Pole could not achieve its mission without being sustainable on the inside too. That’s why we’ve made bold commitments e.g. SBTi Net Zero, B Corp and an internal sustainability plan, and try to monitor and report on our impact data in a transparent way to key stakeholders. The purpose of the Sustainability Manager role is to help South Pole achieve these commitments, report on our sustainability impact across the business lines and scale up the business in a sustainable way.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Iteratively improve and implement the internal sustainability strategy for South Pole
- Develop internal commitments and policy through: affiliations, frameworks, scanning for external risks and opportunities, materiality assessment and action plans for ES&G
- Develop strategic relationships with internal experts, NGOs like B Lab and other industry stakeholders
- Implement internal sustainability plans through programmes, projects and processes. It is not the responsibility of this role to create social sustainability action plans, but reporting on them is within scope.
- This includes but is not limited to: the internal sustainability action plan, the net zero decarbonisation plan, B Lab impact assessments and the annual greenhouse gas accounting process
- Deliver internal engagement, thought leadership and reporting
- Engage stakeholders, including the global office and sustainability champion network, and provide access to sustainability expertiseCollaborate with communications team to develop messaging and champion industry action
- Oversee progress with Internal Sustainability Committee, Internal Sustainability Network and Progress Measurement
- Manage any related time/cost budget, performance and development of the team
- Proven experience of ESG reporting
- Proven experience of impact reporting
- Project management
- Can manage relationships
- Communicates well
- Can simplify complexity
- Does strategic thinking and problem analysis
- Can manage the process of ideation to execution
- Can anticipate and avert problems
- Triage information to react and, at the same time, be proactive
- Has organizational and political intelligence
Essential profile requirements
- A university degree
- Several years relevant work experience
- Strong organizational skills: ability to multitask, focus and prioritize
- A proactive, diligent and independent approach
- Experience working in an international and multicultural context
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
- Comfortable dealing with uncertainty in a rapidly evolving environment
- Excellent oral and written command of English
- Relevant qualifications e.g. IEMA or relevant Masters degree
- Experience with modern communication platforms, including Google Workplace
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.